Help with unclogging my pool pump

Mar 24, 2016
Las Vegas/NV
Hi guys. If you can see this, please help. I don't have the money for pool maintenance service and my filter is all clogged up with sticks. I have a hayward pool star filter. It is a big silver canister with 4 plastic filter elements. I have a pool pump attached to it that is new. This guy I was paying to do my pool for a while attached it and it is 1.5x as powerful as the original. I can't find anything specific to this filter on their site though. There is a clear plate area and I can see that it is full of sticks but I can't open it. There is also a big warning saying "release pressure before opening!". It's been clogged a couple of days now and I can't get any response from this guy and I don't want to have to drain the pool. So on the big metal canister there is some kind of valve and pressure gauge. The gauge reads zero but I can't figure out how to open up the valve itself of if that's what I want. There is also a spigot attached to a pipe coming off of the big metal canister. There is a sprayer type thing on here. I remember vaguely from a long time ago that this was important and could be used for relieving pressure or something or so I think. But I can't get the faucet to turn and one of the parts of the handle already broke off. Is there a checklist or instruction list somewhere that can help me to do this safely?

Could you show me a picture so I can correctly identify the filter.

Hayward Super Star Clear C3000S & C4000S Filter Parts

I can't take a pic, but here is the correct one. It says Hayward super star c3000s.

The pump itself is a cylinder with a little basket in it.

I figured out that there is a pressure release valve on the filter itself and released the pressure. Can I now unscrew the clear part and empty the basket or is more required? I will look again and see what the pump make is but I have forgotten.

Also, before this it seemed that I would suck up sand in the pool and it would get shot back in. I recently got a new pump that is more powerful and I am worried the pump is the culprit. Is this possible?

Also, is sand a part of this filter? Sorry I really know nothing about this stuff, and would not be in this fix but it has clogged up while I have no money and if I dont run it then the pool will go bad very quickly with mosquitos and algae.

You don't need to release the pressure in the filter to open up the pump lid, just make sure the pump is off. And you should not be getting sand shooting back into your pool when you vacuum it. You have a cartridge filter and the reason you are shooting sand back into the pool is because either you need to clean your filters badly or something is broken in your filter. Might be you'r manifold or cartridges. The way your filter work is the water goes thru your cartridge filters and the water diverts thru the manifold back into your system which goes into your pool. Your cartridges are capped off on the top and the manifold is inserted to the bottom of your cartridges. So if you have cracked manifold or cartridges it allows the sand to bypass your cartridges and go back into your pool.

Thats what a bad cartridge filter looks like, notice the top, it won't keep a seal and let unfiltered water thru
bad-cart.-filters.jpg

Hi guys, me again. I am still having issues. I finally got all the filter elements replaced but it seems like the filter is not working properly, though it may be too soon to tell.

There is a broken piece and the pool guy says it's nothing to worry about, but I don't know how good he really is at this stuff it's a sideline for him.

It's #9 on that list of parts. Something that goes on top of the filter elements and kinda holds them together. Anyone knows what this is called or if that is something to worry about?

It's my mom's pool. This thing worked fine for 24 years and now the pool is just a constant problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.