New Member and my take on a few pool cleaners ...

Derekj

Mar 21, 2016
San Marcos Texas
Howdy from Texas.
I have been in the pool cleaner market for awhile and as many before me have experienced, it's a nightmare with the different cleaners and branding.
I have had my in-ground 40 x 21 kidney shaped pool for just over 6 years. I started with a vacuum and hated cleaning out the clogged lines and filters all the time. I bought an in line filter which helped , but I still was unsatisfied. I had heard about robots and decided to buy a cheapy from E bay. It was a smartpool scrubber 60 and I was blown away with the difference it made. 4 years later and it stopped working. I am going to repair it as a back up and decided to get the latest and greatest. Remote control is a must for me as it made sense to spot clean before guests came to swim. I do have a fair amount of trees and All the leaves tend to find their way into my pool GGRRRR. So my search began .... Wow, so many different choices. Just when I settled on one, reviews tended to sway me to look at another. Fortunately, my local pool supplier worked with me and allowed me to test a few out. I was set on the Dolphin Premier, then decided that the DX6 allowed for better turning , then as I was about to purchase, the S300i looked to be the better bet as it captured more leaves than the DX6 and Premier. So i brought the S300i Home and was excited to see it perform. I was truly disappointed in its capabilities. It's suction is around 2850 GPH but the suction opening was larger than most allowing for bigger leaves, or so I thought. It passed over leaves without picking them up , the front roller that spins twice as fast as the track disturbs the dust too much allowing most of it to rise above the cleaner , the smartphone app is just not functional at all. I managed to see the joystick once in about 20 tries , as the app kept on not responding. I took it back and finally listened to the advise of the pool supplier who assured me that the Aquabot T4RC was the weapon I needed. Reviews on this model were mixed and I was hesitant , but decided that I had nothing to lose and brought it home. I believe I have a machine to stay. This machine cleans as the speed of light . Admittedly, I have not had it long enough to give a true review, but compared to the smartpool, DX6 and S300i, there is absolutely No comparison. My smartpool would take about 3,5 hours to clean and would leave some dust in the corners. The T4Rc cleaned it in just under an hour and thanks to the jets, managed to get nearly all the dust from the corners. Moral of the long winded story ... Try before you buy if you can. Hope this helps anyone.

I am trying to choose a cleaner, so your post is very timely. Thank you!

Our challenge is that we have 2 levels in the first 10 feet of the pool (9 and 18 inches deep), a 14 inch bench that runs the length of the shallow and deep - 50 feet - and 2 swimouts in the deep corners that are 40" x 40", one 15 inches under waterline and one 20 inches under the waterline. We will also have a 3 inch safety ledge around the rest of the deep end.

Hayward Tech desk said you could "map" their Tiger Shark and it would then go up and down over all of these levels to clean them. You didn't mention the Tiger Shark. Did you consider it? Is any cleaner particularly known for efficiently cleaning this many levels automatically? Would the remote control be worth it?

Appreciate your input!

I am trying to choose a cleaner, so your post is very timely. Thank you!

Our challenge is that we have 2 levels in the first 10 feet of the pool (9 and 18 inches deep), a 14 inch bench that runs the length of the shallow and deep - 50 feet - and 2 swimouts in the deep corners that are 40" x 40", one 15 inches under waterline and one 20 inches under the waterline. We will also have a 3 inch safety ledge around the rest of the deep end.

Hayward Tech desk said you could "map" their Tiger Shark and it would then go up and down over all of these levels to clean them. You didn't mention the Tiger Shark. Did you consider it? Is any cleaner particularly known for efficiently cleaning this many levels automatically? Would the remote control be worth it?

Appreciate your input!

I did research the Tiger. Nearly all the cleaners have smart track technology, but assuming all things are perfect, I can't see them work as such. Buoyancy also plays a major roll. If it pulls on the cord for example, it could alter the direction a bit. That's why for me, the remote is essential. I too have a wrap around bench and that is about 15 feet long and if it gets up there I'll be happy. I usually broom the bench when I start the cleaner. The Tiger filters about 4500 GPH which is great. The T4TRC does 5100 GPH and has 2 water jets that get stuff that the brushes do not. One of the main reasons for my choice is that I needed one that had a bag for leaves. I got a 2 micron bag and a coarser one for leaves. If you don't have many leaves, then I am sure most of the top listed products would be great.

This is good information, and I always wish I had more experience with various cleaners to better advise these questions. I've only had my Premier M5, and its hard to imagine finding one to perform better. However, if it cleaned as well as it does, but did it as quickly as the latest one you've mentioned, that would be an improvement. That could be handy for a quick cleanup before unplanned guests or similar, but the speed of mine hasn't been an inconvenience really. Thanks for sharing your insight and experience with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.