Solar Cover, Whirlwind Reel, Need ideas to help with my idea.

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I'm getting ready to purchase my 3rd solar cover in just 3 years. I have a problem with wind tearing the cover from the reel straps. My thoughts are putting something plastic (need ideas on what to use) that maybe goes the entire 27' across the pool inside inside the 2" bend of the solar cover. That way the strips couldn't tear the solar cover and I'm thinking it would roll up easier as well. Hopefully you are following what I mean. For example, if I could find a plastic "yard stick" that was 27' instead of just 3' it could go the entire width of the pool. The straps would connect just below this plastic piece so that when the wind blows, it would have to break through the plastic piece first to tear it. Maybe pieces 1/2" pvc pipe connected together?

Any ideas what I could use for this or reasons that my idea is flawed? I'm figuring there must be a reason, it is flawed or someone would have already come up with it or it can't work.

Anxiously awaiting comments. :wave:

When the cover is on the pool, it needs to lay completely flat to the water surface. If it curls up the wall or bulges up in the middle, the wind will grab it and cause problems. Usually the easiest way to ensure this is to cut the cover a little smaller than the pool surface.

The easiest backing you could use to anchor the straps would be something like 1" PVC pipe. Glue sections together and glue caps on and it would distribute the load of the straps across the length of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.