New Build League City, TX 3-23-16

Mr.texan

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2016
League City, Texas
I stumbled across this great forum just this week while I was searching the internet for all the pros/cons on a diving board vs. jumping rocks. After reading so much great info and opinions I have decided to post up our project and look forward to the many varying opinions of ideas and info. My wife and I are currently in construction of our home which should be done by May, and about to break ground on the pool. We completed the pool plans back in Sept of 2015 and made a few tweaks since. We have been waiting for the house to get almost to completion before we break ground.

Here are some of the major specs of our project. We are super excited and hoping mother nature allows us to begin digging very soon.

Today they came out to layout the pool. After doing so, we realized the pool was too close to the trees and not really centered as much on the back patio as we saw on paper. We had them move the pool over to the right by 9'. Now it's exactly where we want it. The pool builder agreed it needed to be moved. Fortunately we had the room to do so. It's hard to see the orange spray paint, but this is the outline of the pool. The 1st time they did it was in blue. Hoping for inspection tomorrow and good weather next week. If so they plan to excavate, re-bar and plumbing and gunite before rains come. But it is Mother Nature's hands. Glad we are at this point, finally!

Specs:
We are wanting a very natural, free form, lagoon style pool.
-Width/Length -43x21.5'
-Depth 3.5'-8'
-36,086 gallons
-Wet Edge - Midnight Sea, with abalone shells in plaster
-Surface area 779, perimeter 116'
@1,400 sq ft decking - Travertine Pavers
-Tanning Ledge 11x7'
-12" Raised Spa, with 6 jets 11'x7.5', 3' spillway
-Waterfall 10x6x3'
-12' bench seating under waterfall
-7' bench under spa
-15' weeping wall
-27' moss rock
-(3) planters
-Swim out are with steps
-(1) wall Sheer descent on raised wall on deep side of pool
-12" raised rear decking (On deep end of pool where jumping rock goes)
-(3) recessed, stacked jumping rock (We decided to not go with the diving board) But will still have raised wall with the (3) jumping rocks.
(4) umbrella sleeves

Equipment
-
2 HP Variable Pump
-580 Filter
-Aqualink controller (4) functions
-Booster 1 1HP
-Booster 2 None
-Booster 3 2 HP
-Cleaner Polaris 9350
-Inline Chlorinator - Rainbow
-(2) skimmers
(6) returns
-Solar eclipse Ozone
-Heater 400k BTU, Gas
-(3) pool lights, (1) spa light with 9 multi colors

*We are having the home builder do the pool decking. (The pool builder wanted an arm and a leg to do it) We also got a few bids on the decking outside of our home builder and pool builder, all were in line what my home builder will do it for. Pool builder was happy and didn't mind. (Less liability with pavers moving here in the Texas gumbo soil) That being said my home builder will be working in conjunction with the PB. We do plan to add about 4-5 drains around the pool decking.

Here are a few pictures. Any information you guys and gals may have, please share! I'm 100% new to the pool ownership, and now is the time to make it right!

Thanks in advance!

Texan

- - - Updated - - -

Question regarding the forum. Does anyone know how to delete photos you have uploaded? I'm out of space.... The 1st time I uploaded, it was large pictures at 85KB per picture. I'd like to delete those so I have room to add more photos. Thanks!

Sorry the actual photos didn't show up larger. I shrunk them too much to be able to get them to fit.

Attachments

• 1_of_3.jpg
    1_of_3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 2_of_3.jpg
    2_of_3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 3_of_3.jpg
    3_of_3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 414
  • Brian Standefer_005.jpg
    Brian Standefer_005.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 419
Will you be doing anything to mitigate the soil from affecting the deck and pool shell? If not, micro irrigation has been discussed on here as an effective option.

Project looks awesome! Big pool!

Will you be doing anything to mitigate the soil from affecting the deck and pool shell? If not, micro irrigation has been discussed on here as an effective option.

Project looks awesome! Big pool!
Regarding the shifting of foundation over the years, specifically in regards to the pool deck, that is still up in the air on how best to do it. As mentioned, here in the greater Houston area our soil moves alot. Not to mention the big trees around the pool and root sustem.

We are trying to decide for the pool decking whether we want to do the following.
1. 4" concrete slab with the travertine pavers set on top.
Or.
2. Using the sand method and then placing travertine on top.

I think the sand will allow for easier repair /replacement. But I think the concrete may last longer. *Cost is same way regardless which way we decide to go. I'm leaning a bit more towards concrete slab.

I will look into the micro irrigation.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

We have had some issues with soil movement and the pool and deck also moving. We installed a micro-irrigation system on a yimer around to maintain consistent moisture content around the pool and it seems to have solved all of our issues. It needs to run in winter too, that is when we had our worst movement a few years ago.

For the pictures you can become a supporting member CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! and that will increase you picture storage AND you will get a discount on the test kit AND it will help us keep the lights on. win-win-win! LOL

You can also use photo bucket to link to your pics. Use the img code to have the in the post.

9 FEET over????? I am SO glad you were there! Good job!

Kim

Are you sold on the Ozone device? We generally don't recommend them.
We did end up going with Ozone. I stumbled across this site AFTER signing contracts and all. The 3-4 people I know said go with the Ozone. Honestly, I don't know a ton of info either way regarding them. My wife and I are building are home at the same time as the pool so Ive had to pick and choose my battles with what I have time to research. Not to mention a 19 month old son running @. I guess more than anything I hope I have good equipment and adequate size.... If I bought something I dont need, then I will live and learn. What are the cons on the Ozone?

For the pictures you can become a supporting member CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! and that will increase you picture storage AND you will get a discount on the test kit AND it will help us keep the lights on. win-win-win! LOL

You can also use photo bucket to link to your pics. Use the img code to have the in the post.

9 FEET over????? I am SO glad you were there! Good job!

Kim
Kim,

Thx for that info! I will be subscribing member by tonight! I will need more space for pictures as I was notified they will be escavsting tomorrow morning!!!!!

Reason it was 9' we had to move the pool over, on our plans we didn't have the location of a pecan and oak tree.... Once pool was drawn on the grass we realized it was too close to the trees. Fortunately the yard is big enough and we didnt have to mess with the tree. Looks much differnet when not in 2D on a piece of paper. :)

Super excited they are escavsting tomorrow. Im off work so I will see it all unfold and take pictures!

7:00am this morning pool supervisor was on site and waiting for the crew. @ 7:30am I showed up. Supervisor tells me he heard from the owner of pool company and they recommend that I add (2) more lights to the pool. I currently have (3) lights on the pool and 1 in the spa. (2) lights are currently on the right side of the pool, one in front of each planter. The 3rd light is on the deep end where the jumping rock is going and will shine the length of the pool.

The want to add one on the tanning ledge, and another on the far end where the swim out is. (To the right of waterfall and left of jumping rock) They are just a bit concerned with it being such a big pool (116' perimeter) with curves, they don't want any hidden areas not getting light.

They say adding the (2) LED lights will cost $1,500!!!!!! I said what???? I said I'm already at budget. I also wondering why this wasn't brought up 5 months ago when I signed the contract. Why the day of??? I then mentioned well I guess I will remove the solar eclipse which is their (Ozone and UV) From what I have read on this forum in the last 48 hours, sounds like the ozone isn't worth it at all...

Then I asked the supervisor how much the solar eclipse costs, and he was looking through his sheet.... while looking for it, I saw the lights. They were right @ $235 each. Now he said he doesn't do pricing and not sure what I paid for them. He said he would have sales guy call me.

Fast forward to this afternoon. The sales guy/designer I been working with says each light itself is $450.00. Then they have to run each light individually to the junction box. So I said that cost $600 for 2 runs? I then said, "Well I saw the sheet that showed each light costing $235.00. So thats $450 for 2 lights... I said it shouldn't cost $1,050 to run it. " He said he will get back to me. My guess is, the $235 price per light is their costs.... the $450 is retail + installation.

I told him confirm the exact price of the 2 lights installed. Then I will decide if I will keep the solar eclipse (Ozone + UV) He recommended that I keep it as I will save money in long run on chemicals on such a large pool???? This was 1 hour ago. Electrical goes in on Monday so I have some time to decide.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Do I need the 4th and 5th light? Better safe than sorry? It is an 8' pool with lots of curves. Also going with WetEdge midnight sea which is a much darker color. I heard the colorful lights don't show up as well with darker plasters. I'm leaning towards doing the light, but I'm going to fight a hard bargain and very possibly remove the solar eclipse (Ozone + U.V)

I will post pictures of excavation tonight when I go back this evening and take final pictures. In about 3 hours they had it all dug. 36,000 gallons worth. :)

Well this morning at 8:00am the Bobcat and crew arrived. After discussing for 30 minutes about the pool they quickly began moving dirt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lets talk about the lights. What we need is a drawing of your pool with the specs. It should show were the lights are now as well as the size of the pool. Once we see that we can go from there. (We will talk about the price after we see if they are needed).

Ditch the ozone/UV system please. It will just take up space and money. NOT worth the time and effort to even think about.

Kim (so glad to see you have more room for pictures!)

Ok here are the pool dimensions, proposed new lights drawn on pool layout, and the excavation photos from today.

We currently have (3) LED lights in the pool and (1) in the spa. Two are on the right side of the pool, (Where the planters are) and the 3rd is in the deep in by the diving rock (You see diving board on plans) Pool builder is proposing (2) more LED lights. One off the tanning ledge. I'm not sure if it's in the shallow part of tanning ledge, I assume on the deeper side of tanning ledge. Also, proposing another LED on the deep end on the swim out area. (To the right of the waterfall, but left of the jumping rock/diving board) The swim up area is -18". I don't know how low they are putting it. Below the swim up area or just 18" below water line. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I plan to speak to builder tomorrow and confirm locations. But they do want (1) on tanning ledge and other on swim out on the deep end.

As mentioned, we are having the "wet edge midnight sea" plaster which is a darker plaster. Here is what it looks like. wet edge midnight sea - Google Search

What should I do? Can you have a such thing as too many lights? I know the time to add more lights is now if I were to do it. PB was concerned about having shadow areas around some of the curves.

Oh and the pool is 3.5' - 8' deep. 36,000 gallons, 116' perimeter.Pool 1st dig.jpgPool Full.jpgPool Spa and ledge.jpgPool deep and swim up.jpgView attachment POOOOOL.pdf

Any info is appreciated

Lets talk about the lights. What we need is a drawing of your pool with the specs. It should show were the lights are now as well as the size of the pool. Once we see that we can go from there. (We will talk about the price after we see if they are needed).

Ditch the ozone/UV system please. It will just take up space and money. NOT worth the time and effort to even think about.

Kim (so glad to see you have more room for pictures!)

Not a bad suggestion Kim regarding moving the lights around. After going by the house again today and looking at it, the more I am convinced I need more light due to the big lagoon style curves in this pool. And it is a BIG pool.... Even the excavation supervisor said "Big Pool" lol. Besides initial cost, any big negatives to adding (2) more lights? I figure now is the time to add them if I am going to.

PB said he was going to go by house and measure the runs from each lights. I thought it was as simple as connecting them to the other lights. I was told, each light has its own run to the junction box. Hopefully they can come down on price!

Regarding the solar eclipse (Ozone & U.V) I don't know exactly what I paid for it. My pool bid didn't have it line item. I'm afraid I will be told it was (X) dollars when in reality I paid much more for it. Vs just keeping it, paying a better rate for lights hopefully. Without knowing exact cost of removing ozone I'm hesitant to do so. I may end up paying more and not having it at all, even if it's not "worth having one"

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Side note, the rebar was going in today!

Re: What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

I would have done lighted bubblers. Our pool is lit very well with the two LED lights but the tanning ledge is dark. Lighted bubblers would have been very cool.
Very cool idea.... we have a 11x7' tanning ledge with 2 bubblers. Pool is currently at the rebar stage. I'm going to ask about additional cost for lighted bubblers. Wonder what you can do for waterfall feature too? Any ideas?

Kim's note: I copied this from another thread so we could answer it on your build thread.

SO many neat ideas for a waterfall............put a light just under the fall pointing up so it "highlights" the waterfall. Put tiny lights among the rocks of the fall to make it really stand out and be a major focal point. Here is what I found doing a google search for ideas. I will leave it up to you to find the light/lights to do what you like the best. (I like the tiny lights among the rocks idea)

pool uplight fixture for water falls - Google Search

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.