LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I’ve been eyeing used solar panels on Craigslist, and yesterday saw an ad for 6 panels being left out for free, so I hooked up the trailer and picked them up. I could use some help identifying them -- they are FAFCO, 4’x12’ (including the headers), and are a split-tube design that’s a bit different than I’ve seen -- at the headers, every 5th tube is left out by design, then are spaced evenly at the first support. There’s no other label indicating the model or age. Any idea what these are?

IMG_20160322_185353197.jpg

IMG_20160322_185353197a.jpg

IMG_20160322_185343507.jpg
IMG_20160322_185428194.jpg

I seem to have much of the key hardware -- 2 top clips per panel, rubber interconnect clamps attached to half of the ends, and what I assume is a pressure relief valve on the end of one header. I’m planning to install them on the flat (very slightly sloped) roof of a pool shade structure; I can fit 4 for sure, and if I do some cantilevering and supports from a lower roof, I may be able to fit all 6 up there.

I will have more questions on mounting and piping as I go along!

I can't help on the model, but it sounds like you have everything or nearly everything you need. My only big concern is the fact the roof has little slope and draining with the potential for freezing weather in your area. I would suggest reading the installation manuals from a few of the major brands, many of the manuals have tips and tricks, but as far as I have seen none cover all the important points. Specifically I would suggest the information at Powerstrip Solar Pool Heaters from Hot Sun Industries of San Diego, California as well as this manual for aquatherm panels (this is the old aquatherm manual that I think is much better than the new powerpoint style manual) http://www.solar-components.com/Aquatherm-InstallationManual.pdf I used the aquatherm aluminum headers on my Techno-Solis panel installation (header tube diameter was only about 1/20th inch different on the 2 inch headers and the aquatherm clamp looks much better than the common U clamps Techno-Solis uses) Of course also consult the Fafco manual for this model panel if you can find it.

Ike

p.s. that valve on the end is a vacuum relief valve, it lets air in so the panels can drain when the pump is off, as letting water stay in the panels with the pump off can build excessive amounts of heat and damage the panels.

Dang you are lucky all the hardware came with yours. I picked up 8 panels for $100 on Craigslist, but am spending over $200 in hardware. It is expensive, just for clips, and couplings, and etc. Thinking I should find a way to manufacture these and sell them myself...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.