Using internal pump timer to turn on/off SWG

Mar 14, 2016
Orlando FL
Hello,

I had a pool built it was finished in January and I am figuring out how everything works as I go. I have a purechlor SWG and it seems to be working fine so far. My variable speed pump is set to run on its internal timer for about 8 hours per day. It goes through a few different speeds starting out slow, going faster, and then going slow again. The SWG has a separate mechanical timer but someone advised me that I could just leave the SWG on all the time and let the flow sensor shut off the cell when the pump is not running. Is this an acceptable way to run the SWG? Can I damage the cell this way? I seem to be making the proper amount of chlorine (about 5ppm free chlorine). My lowest pump setting is 750 RPM and the SWG is on during this part of the pump cycle. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Gatorboy!

The flow sensor is meant to be a backup and not the only means to stop the SWG from generating.

Having a separate timer for the SWG is not ideal either, what happens if the times get out of sync?

I think the best method is to have a current sensing relay on the power to the pump. So when the relay senses current being draw by the pump, it trips and supplies power to the SWG. So the SWG can only be on when the pump is running.

I have never used or installed one, just seen them talked about a lot on the forum. Should be a fairly straightforward install. You would no longer be using the mechanical timer for anything.

I don't know about your brand, but here's what my Aqua Rite owners manual says: "It is very important that the Aqua Rite is powered ONLY when the pump is running." Check your manual to see how it recommends that it be connected.

You don't need a relay. Why not just disconnect your SWG from it's normal power supply and connect it to the "output" terminals of your timer along with the pump leads? Caution:

It is possible that your SWG is wired for 110V and your pump is 220V, so you may not be able to simply change the connections. Mine was like that, but the Aqua Rite has a set of jumpers on the control board which are easily changed to switch from 110V to 220V. Be sure you don't make the "wrong mistake" and ruin your board. It's not rocket surgery, but you do need to pay a bit of attention to what you're doing.

See my post in this section entitled "LOW SALT" & "CHECK CELL" problem.......... solved."

Jblizzle has the safest solution with the current sensing relay.

The way you are operating it right now works but you need to make sure the timers stay in sync. You do not want to leave the SWG on while there is no flow and the flow switch should not be relied on to turn off the SWG.

I am using the onboard timer to run my VS pump and my SWG is connected to a separate timer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that setup. You don't need to add relays, just set the SWG timer to come on after the pump and shut down before the pump does, and if the two timer ever were to get out of sync, well that is why the flow switch is there.

You already have a primary switching system (the timer) and a backup, safety switch (the built in flow switch). If this were a system where failure guaranteed catastrophic results (like a water heater that would explode or furnace that will burn your house down) additional safeguards might be needed. In this instance the worst case is damage to the device, and that requires two seperate failures. You already have suspenders and a belt. Just check occasionally to make sure the flow switch works, and keep the timers set properly.

Thanks for all the responses. I will set up the mechanical timer for my swg and stop relying on the flow sensor to shut off the cell. Is there any benefit to running the cell at maximum output for the shortest time? Will my cell last longer that way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your electric bill will be lower with the shorter pump run time. In most cases the pool gets plenty enough water filtration by the time the SWG makes enough chlorine for the day.

The cell will not last longer, they have a designed life span to make a certain amount of chlorine over its life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.