Poolskim questions

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
I bought one of these but I can't get it installed correctly. I'm just not sure I'm doing it right because my return flows water out very strong and then when I try to add the poolskim it just blows it off. I'm not surprised though because it goes from blowing water through about a 2 inch pvc pipe to trying to move water through 6 little holes when entering the body of the poolskim (I tried to post pictures but they were too big). Is this how it supposed to work? I don't want to glue the PVC together and then blow out my pump/filter if there is too much pressure. Besides, it says you don't have to glue it. Thanks for your help!

Let's see if I can post a picture...
the actual poolskim where it has to go through the holes
IMG_6448.jpg

and then the pipe from the return
IMG_6450.jpg

and then a picture of my pool that I think looks great thanks to all your help!
IMG_6453.jpg

In case you are wondering we have three sets of wedding cake steps because I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old and this gives them a place to play and swim back and forth to.

learthur,
the only screws I have are the ones with the small plastic disc that is used to close an extra airflow. What are nibs? Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I remember reading that when I searched the forum before I bought the steps...and then forgot about it. I got the poolskim because it seems it helps circulate the water in the pool and so hopefully prevents the algae from forming.

I found what I think are nips and little tiny holes where screws could go through, but I don't have any screws skinny enough to fit. I'm going to try and find some.

QUESTION: So it is ok for all that pressure to be forced to go from the large pipe throught the small holes? Maybe it is because my pump is a 1/2 HP that the water seems to be so forceful coming out?

Thanks again!

1. The small plastic nibs/nips/nipples, or whatever we should call them are at the 12 o'clock position in your second photo above. I would suggest you buy some stainless steel screws at the hardware store. Once you are happy with the pipe co configuration of course you can glue it all and remove screws.

The holes in the poolskim itself are ok. They create a small amount of backpressure to help insure water return to your other water return outlets if you have them. The poolskim should be able to handle typical flowrates of 2" PVC so I don't think you will have any problems.

My pool uses a 3/4 hp pump with multiple pool returns and I barely have enough flow through the poolskim to make it work.

Good luck

I have a 1 HP pump with one return and the poolskim. It handles the flow ok. You definitely want the stronger flow to help the poolskim pull the debris and to keep the water circulating. Sometimes the poolskim connection will get a little loose, but I just tighten it back up and it's fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.