Intex owners: did you leave yours up over the winter?

Apr 17, 2008
Just wanted to see if anyone has a report on how their Intex pool has fared after being up all winter in a cold climate (particularly want to know if anyone has a pool in good shape after being up year-round for a couple of years). I winterized and covered our metal frame ultra 18ft and it seems to be in fine shape, even though here in southeast PA we had a very cold winter. Can't wait to swim now!

Not in a cold climate here, but I kept my Intex metal frame 18x9' up over the winter. I think as long as you drain out the hoses/pump and cover the pool, you should be fine -- unless you get more than 24 hours (in a row) of below freezing temps.

As a side note, from what I have read, it might actually not be a good idea to drain your pool, unless you can completely dry it and then store it away from the elements. Leaving it empty outside can cause sun damage and/or mold growth. Taking it inside when it is not completely dry can also lead to mold growth.

My 18ft frame pool is waiting for warm weather to be put up, maybe next weekend? Did the raking of the ground area today and dumped the weed killer on the bare spot. This will be year 5! Bought a 28ft abg used doughboy but think we'll wait one more season before dumping little intex...Kimrst

I live in ohio and have the 24 by 52" metal frame and left it up all winter. Drained half way down and stored all hoses, pump and everything inside. Just cleaned it yesterday and started filling. They hold up very well, mine is still like new. It is way to big to take down and try to dry and manhandle it to store it. 8)

Reactions: Dano2022
I left my 18ft metal frame up. This was the first winter season for it though. Just opened it up last weekend and it looks great. Even had clear water :-D

Living in the foothills of Northern Calif our winters are pretty mild compared to many of you, but we did get some snow this year. Can't wait for the water to warm up, it's still below 60 degrees!

I'm in MA alot of my neighbors leave theres up every year. Last year we drained it then got lazy it stayed up all winter empty. We cleaned it out today found a few small pin holes/tears in the bottom side walls posts seem fine. Were gonna fill it and see if it lasts but this year I do plan on just closing it and leaving it up.

I had an 18' Ring type and a tried to take it down in the winter. The first year we got into the basement but almost killed ourselves doing it. Second year tried to store it rolled up outside on the patio. The squirrels decided to explore inside the roll and couldn't find their way out so they ate nice round holes in it...or maybe they did it for fun. Anyway, I do not recommend that approach. Fortunately, my new I/G pool was under construction by then.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I noticed one behind a house nearby, up all winter, uncovered, plumbing intact and all...frozen solid back in Feb. I should drive by and see if it's still there..... :shock: It was the ring-type.

Yeah it's gone....a rather large hole is being excavated....I wonder if they are taking the plunge and going for a bigger pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in Florida, Tampa..do you think I could safely leave my pool up, covered and with my pump and swg running like I did in the summer? We don't usually get too many days with freezing temps, sometimes for a few hours during the wee hours of the morning we do...but then it warms up by 8 or 9 o'clock. I figured I'd just leave it up and running through those freezing hours too...Is that ok?

I'm in nj and we left our 9x18 up. We emptied it half way. Put winter chemicals in and I bought a heavy gauge oval pool cover for it. We bungeed cement blocks all the way around to hold the cover and I bought 4 bubbles to go under the cover. They completely fill the pool and bring it about even with the top rail. An automatic cover pump sits on top. So far so good. We keep any eye on it and make sure no big puddles but I don't foresee any issues at this point. Xmas is over. Is it time to open it yet?? :)

I'm hoping the time goes by fast and then I can take my cover off..one mistake I made was I just put the inner tubes in the center and tied them down to keep them there...and the cover over that. When it rains, the center of the tubes fill with water and it pulls a bit on my cover. I can't get that water out of the center part of the pool cover, but I keep scooping and syphoning out the water around the sides. We don't usually get too much rain down here in the winter, but when we do..that's my problem. I'm keeping an eye on my cover too...good luck Suzy!!...keep me posted, ok?

I'm in NE Fl and I have left my 26' intex up this winter. I've just proceeded as per normal. Run the pump and swcg, vac the leaves, etc. That being said, our coldest part of winter usually hits in Feb. Brrrrrr. This is my first winter with this pool and with no more freezing temps than we get I didn't think it necessary to take it down. I do need to clean the vinyl on top of the rails but that should be easy enough. Now when the temps rise for summer I'll be all ready except for the swim suit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I am In NJ, it's freezing here. I had a cover on from sept when I cloed the pool until Dec when it first snowed. I left the cover off. The water is crystal clear, the bottom of the pool has a few leaves and some dirt, but nothing major. It's a 15x4 pool. The pool water is frozen now, so far so good.

Hmmm....wonder if you could skate on that frozen pool! That would be interesting maybe, nahh..maybe you would fall over the sides or something..forget it! Hopefully we'll all be swimming soon! I have some leaves in my pool too...it's covered, but they snuck in somehow - I guess when the wind blew it up a bit, they must've slipped through the opening, but no problems so far with me either. Hurry up Summer!

I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if anyone has had problems leaving their intex style metal post pool up through the winter in area's where it freezes? We live in northeastern ohio, and since our lakes freeze, I am pretty certain our 18 ft by 4 ft pool would freeze solid over the winter, thaw and freeze multiple times... Will it ruin the liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.