Intex owners: did you leave yours up over the winter?

I can't think of any reason to treat a saltwater pool any differently. I agree that taking them down every year is harder on them than leaving then up. I've always left mine up, and I've never had to apply a patch..

I've had rails rust out after a few years, but I suspect you'll have that happen whether you take it down or not. If I get 3-4 years out of a $400 pool, I consider that a bargain.

I read somewhere that others had problems over the years with the swg rusting out the metal rails (so they wrapped them) otherwise, tfp and you tube helped me winterize the intex this winter. Survived with flying colors.. I think swg would just need a few more parts drained...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

First, I am new on this blog. How do I start a new thread!? Can't find it anywhere on the top of the page.
I live in WA state. Have 16X48 INTEX pool with the metal poles going around. For the last 7 years have taken pool down, but thinking this summer of leaving up through winter? Ideas/suggestions? I use a salt chlorinator so would I keep running it and pump each day to keep it from getting algae? Right now I am running it 4-5 hrs a day so that would be a lot of electricty
Also, any suggestions for a winter cover? I have the solar cover and the INTEX cover that it comes with but it has little air holes in it and since it rains a lot here in winter, the cover would fill with water....
Any help is greatly appreciated! Love to have found a site for INTEX pool people! I have loved my pools!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is winterizing different for a salt water system? Just put up 22' x 52" ultraframe. Have had 18' in the past that we always took down and had to patch every year. Much appreciated

Im interested in this too. Im in chicago finishing ground prep and would love to leave it as well. Im also going with salt system and wondering about winterizing.

Thanks y'all

Im interested in this too. Im in chicago finishing ground prep and would love to leave it as well. Im also going with salt system and wondering about winterizing.

Thanks y'all

This is an old thread, but I left my 18x48 metal frame up year round for 9 years, the last 8 on salt water. No difference at all with salt water.

Drained below suction, moved pump/filter to storage, covered with standard 18 ft pool cover.

In the spring I add liquid bleach, connect pump/filter, add salt to get in range after filling the pool, start the SWG and that is it.

Reactions: ChelleSte
This is an old thread, but I left my 18x48 metal frame up year round for 9 years, the last 8 on salt water. No difference at all with salt water.

Drained below suction, moved pump/filter to storage, covered with standard 18 ft pool cover.

In the spring I add liquid bleach, connect pump/filter, add salt to get in range after filling the pool, start the SWG and that is it.

Yep, did the same. No problems whatsoever.

SWG creates a chemical reaction that sanitizes the water like chlorine so I wouldn't see there being a difference. If anything, heavy salt water is less likely to freeze. I found a hole in my Intex every yr we took it down as well no matter how careful we were. I leave my 18' up winterized now with the same method of draining below the inlet/outlets and covering. Not a single problem.

I leave mine up year round up here in Canada, freezes into a 24 foot hockey puck. I have had the pool up for three years now.
I move pump, swg cell and 6 way valve for the sand filter inside for the winter, do a partial drain, add bleach once the water temp hits 60.
In the spring once ice is off remove debris, add bleach, wait until water temp starts hitting 60 regular, then it is time to start circulation.
Something interesting I have found out here is that swg's really don't work well under 65 degrees but then algae doesn't really grow in that cold of water either.

We get below freezing. Same as frankow with pulling equipment. I plug the outlet/inlets/skimmer. Leave a sanitizing floater in and cover for the winter with a pillow in the center. The rule in our house is once the temp goes freezing, no one touches the pool. I keep an eye for damage through the winter but 2 winters now and doing good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.