Intex owners: did you leave yours up over the winter?

Left our 18' intex up this yr. In Virginia.. We got 18" of snow and freezing weather. Id connect to my post there but not sure how. Pool did well.. Winterized and covered. Last intex we had kept getting small pin holes each yr from taking down no matter how careful we were. This newer bigger pool decided to leave up. So far so good!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Drained my to below the inlet/outlet in the fall. Didn't cover it, so I have some leaves and a little algae in there. Will get to do my first SLAM. The pool got filled up with all the rain we had this winter, not much snow, I had to drain some out the other day! I will likely cover it next year so there won't be so many leaves.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a report on how their Intex pool has fared after being up all winter in a cold climate (particularly want to know if anyone has a pool in good shape after being up year-round for a couple of years). I winterized and covered our metal frame ultra 18ft and it seems to be in fine shape, even though here in southeast PA we had a very cold winter. Can't wait to swim now!

I left my 18' Intex Easy Set out all winter covered but full of water thinking oh well - I got 3 seasons out of it at a relatively low cost so if it crashes - no big loss (lazy me). Besides - it survived the past two winters without any problems so maybe it could survive another. About midway into winter - the water level had dropped down to the water supply port indicating that water had likely leaked out of one or more of the fittings in the hose system due to the expansion of water as it freezes but that had also happened the past two winters. However this past winter was considerably more severe than the previous two. We had extended periods of sub-freezing temps and received 30 inches of snow in late Jan so I was convinced that the whole system was toast this time. I feared that the fittings and possibly pump and salt system were cracked. At that point I regretted the fact that I didn't at least salvage the pump, and salt system. When winter's wrath had finally subsided and temps got up to the 70's this past weekend - I reluctantly decided to assess the damage. Much to my surprise the only damage were two cracks in the inflatable PVC tube which I successfully patched with Gorilla repair tape (amazing stuff!). After inflating the repaired tube - I filled the pool and its been holding level ever since. Unfortunately some leaves managed to sneak their way under the cover's edges and into the pool so the water was pretty green and grungy but after vacuuming the floor, adjusting the chemistry, and treating with several doses of clorox - the pool water is slowly clearing up. I don't think I'll push my luck next winter

Basically I treated the intex as if it was a regular above ground pool. In the swim winterizing kit and a middle of the road cover attached with the accompanying wire as well as water jugs filled and hanging at each grommet. Pool withstood freezing and 18" snowfall.. Continuously siphoned off water as it accumulated. Brought all the pumps in and lowered the water to below all the inlets and returns. Pool looked great when I took the cover off. Using a starter kit to slam it as our went to long while I modified the pump system this year adding a skimmer.
d4d600dff9f430bd54e9ad5bc2a27995.jpg

Basically I treated the intex as if it was a regular above ground pool. In the swim winterizing kit and a middle of the road cover attached with the accompanying wire as well as water jugs filled and hanging at each grommet. Pool withstood freezing and 18" snowfall.. Continuously siphoned off water as it accumulated. Brought all the pumps in and lowered the water to below all the inlets and returns. Pool looked great when I took the cover off. Using a starter kit to slam it as our went to long while I modified the pump system this year adding a skimmer.
d4d600dff9f430bd54e9ad5bc2a27995.jpg

Forgot, used a winterizing above ground pool cover pillow as well

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine was actually beautiful clear when I pulled the cover but between strep passed around for the whole family and connecting all the PVC for the new skimmer, I will now need to bit it hard.. Going to sick it, algaecide (it's rained for a week here!!) O should have it clear on a day or so <fingers crossed>

Mine was actually beautiful clear when I pulled the cover but between strep passed around for the whole family and connecting all the PVC for the new skimmer, I will now need to bit it hard.. Going to sick it, algaecide (it's rained for a week here!!) O should have it clear on a day or so <fingers crossed>

Strep stinks! Hope everyone is better!

I would skip the algaecide..... Have you read the slam procedure?

Left our summer escapes 15' up all winter and it didnt end so well. Drained below the skimmer and brought the pump inside. Treated the water and called it good for the winter. Well sometime after the top freezing and being covered in snow and it thawing out it developed a leak and drained completely. After that all it took was one big windstorm to notify us to that issue. All said and done it ended up in a twisted heap against our garage. Silver lining to this is we now have a 22' Intex ultra frame and I would have had to drain and move the old one to level the ground better anyway. So now leveling is underway and the new pool is standing by waiting to be put up.

I've been told that if ice is scraping down the inside due to water leaking out can cut the liner further. You make have had a small leak you were not aware of after the winter started and as the level dropped it sliced the liner. Sorry to hear that.. How the new look has a much longer life! Are you going to leave this one up over winter?

I've been told that if ice is scraping down the inside due to water leaking out can cut the liner further. You make have had a small leak you were not aware of after the winter started and as the level dropped it sliced the liner. Sorry to hear that.. How the new look has a much longer life! Are you going to leave this one up over winter?

The new one is a 22'X52" and after looking at the size im dealing with it will most likely stay up. The other one never had a leak so Im not 100% sure what the cause it. But on to bigger and better pools!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.