April Showers bring May Flowers?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
You know what stinks? I opened my pool almost 2 weeks ago and used the hose to fill up the water level to the skimmer.

Now, in the last three days we've had torrential rains and my pool is now up to and about to flow over the top rails. I'm soooo frustrated right now, and I still haven't received my water bill. :shock:

I have standing water in my yard, in the corner by the fence there is probably 6 inches of standing water, the ground is absolutely saturated. They are forecasting weather like this for the next week, it may not all be rain but there won't be any sunshine either. I'm starting to feel like I live in Seattle.

Just a bit po'd right now. :rant:

frustratedpoolmom said:
You know what stinks? I opened my pool almost 2 weeks ago and used the hose to fill up the water level to the skimmer.

Now, in the last three days we've had torrential rains and my pool is now up to and about to flow over the top rails. I'm soooo frustrated right now, and I still haven't received my water bill. :shock:

I have standing water in my yard, in the corner by the fence there is probably 6 inches of standing water, the ground is absolutely saturated. They are forecasting weather like this for the next week, it may not all be rain but there won't be any sunshine either. I'm starting to feel like I live in Seattle.

Believe it or not I am jealous. We sure could use some of that rain down here.

I need to up my CYA but everyday the weather man says we are going to get
up to 4" of rain. So I don't want to have to lose the stabilizer I add and I keep
waiting. Do we get the 4" of rain? Nope
Having a pool is always a challenge. :)

FPMom,

numberonenole said:
doesn't this little guy :rant: make you feel better just watching him?
It does me!!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I guess I should learn to count my blessings.... :hammer:

Shouldn't we all - everyones biggest problem should be dealing with their pool! Thanks for all the help you provide to so many here!

frustratedpoolmom said:

Hey Ann,
I blew a little water out last night about a half inch, then the water started flowing back toward the pool so I thought i shoud stop...Saturated isn't the word for it. Hasn't rained since noon here yesterday and the ground still squishes...I am going to take more out at lunch time and then more after work...It was over flowing out of the skimmer.

Beave

I drained 2 inches. I held the vac hose up to the return and turned on the pump, the other end of the hose out the front thru the fence away from the pool. Took about 10 minutes to drain an inch. Got tired of holding the hose in the 64 degree water with the pressure on the hose, so I turned the pump to low, kept the hose end under water and the syphon action kept draining the water. I managed to wedge the end of the hose into the skimmer to hold it in place while I drained another inch, I walked away for 15 minutes or so and it was just right :goodjob: ... Still standing water in the yard. :shock:

Stupid school district cancelled school. :rant: One "suspected" case of Swine flu warrants closing 5 schools and keeping 3,000 kids home? :roll: Extending the school year till June 9....we're leaving for Wisonsin on June 5, oh well.... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can totally relate.

We haul in water for the pool then we have had inches of rain in the last week or 2. My yard sounds swampy as I walk through - especially near the pool - go figure since I have to test water several times each day. My shoes are covered in mud!!

I drained about a half inch of water out of the pool by backwashing, but it is still nearly overflowing. No wonder I can't get the pool to clear....

frustratedpoolmom said:
...in the last three days we've had torrential rains and my pool is now up to and about to flow over the top rails.
At least you didn't pull a bone-headed stunt like I did yesterday. I turned the hose on to fill the dog's water dish before I went to work, then tossed it into the pool :hammer: ... My wife discovered it at 5PM last night!

I had to pump over 4" of water out of the pool when I got home @7... Just wait for the water bill... In addition I lost some of the CYA that I put in Monday night.

The good thing is, and there is always some good thing (right?), that the pool is crystal clear now *and* the filter had a good 30 minute backwash/rinse :goodjob: .

I feel your frustrations "frustrated". It sounds like yall got what we had here in Houston Monday and Tuesday. I never realized how much havoc can be reaked on a pool when 11 inches dumps on your pool in 4 hours :grrrr:

But Im glad to hear that you were able to get your pool back in order :cop:

I feel your pain. I opened my pool on April 25th because I know my solar heater can get the water warm enough to swim in a few days. The "plan" was to get the pool ready and then leave the winter cover on during the week and remove it on weekends if it was warn and sunny. We got the pool clean and running in three hours and then water temp went from 56 to 69 in two days of sunshine.

Mother Nature hates plans...

We got three weeks of rain and cool weather. Finally took the cover of for good on May 16.

We have just had our most recent frost 2 days ago - we are over a month behind on opening the pool this year. We received 15" of rain since the pool was closed last fall so won't have too much to top it off - I'm hoping we are all just getting the crappy weather out of the way so we can all have an absolutely SUPER summer this year. Last summer tanked and I thought it started well - near freezing nights in JULY last year. No thank you, I'll take the crappy weather now so I can enjoy the rest of the non-snow season here (thats a total of like - 2.5 months? lol )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.