A friend of mine has a second home and has used the puck method for 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
Why has thiis never happen to him????
2. Trichlor - Commonly sold as tablets or pucks that you simply put into an automatic container that passes pool water over them and they slowly dissolve - putting chlorine and CYA into your water and lowers the pH. They are incredibly convenient and incredibly insidious. The CYA that they put into your pool water doesn't get used up, and instead accumulates. Eventually the CYA level will build up to a point that renders your chlorine ineffective. Typically, everything is fine, until one day you start to develop algae and don't understand why.

- - - Updated - - -

He visits his his second home about every three weeks and has never had a single issue with algae.

Luck and highly dependent on the location and type of pool. Their pool also may claim to have never had an issue, but I doubt it and their water has never been as safe or as clear as a TFP managed pool.

We'd need more information on the type of pool and specifics on how it's managed. Most of the time, people who get away with using pucks for long periods actually replace large amounts of water as part of the local weather or seasonal closing/opening cycles.

P.C Beach FL and he has a concrete pool. He also has major OCD about cleanliness. I switched to bleach a couple of years ago after joining this site and have had good success.The only thing is the jugs are a pain.

meh everyone has different standards, its most likely weather related luck / use of additional products.

Also, it's like the guy that says his car has been super reliable for xxx miles except for that one time the engine blew up ..oh and when the door fell off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think Kim might have part of the story ... If there is a lot of rain, he may not be actively partially draining the pool, but there is likely an overflow that results in water replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick google shows that Panama City averages roughly 5" of rain per month ... that is around 10% water replacement every month.

I think Kim might have part of the story ... If there is a lot of rain, he may not be actively partially draining the pool, but there is likely an overflow that results in water replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

A quick google shows that Panama City averages roughly 5" of rain per month ... that is around 10% water replacement every month.

I've seen this logic a lot regarding Florida pools. Wouldn't the pool builders or pool owners of Florida compensate by keeping the water level lower? Or do they just accept "overflowing pool" as a way of pool-owning life?

Brother in law has the same luck! Has used pucks for 15-20 years and never tests his water, throws in a box of baking soda occasionally but doesn't know why. His pool set up is same as mine but a tad smaller. He manually vacs and his pool stays crystal clear. I stopped trying to understand it although I do have a strong desire to sneak over in the middle of the night to nab a water sample.

We know and plan for the rain........inground pools should have a overflow grate/pipe. My above ground we just watch the rain fall and pull water as needed. When we leave for a weekend we lower the water for just in case as 10% chance of rain means it WILL rain! LOL

Kim

I've seen this logic a lot regarding Florida pools. Wouldn't the pool builders or pool owners of Florida compensate by keeping the water level lower? Or do they just accept "overflowing pool" as a way of pool-owning life?

Either way they are replacing water. If there is rain coming, and they intentionally lower the water level, when the rain fills it back up, the CYA will be lower. Or they can passively let an overflow handle it, which may not lower the CYA quite as much, especially if the pump is not running.

In August when it rains almost everyday, the water level of my pool easily becomes level with the deck, sometimes overflowing. I will drain the pool back down to skimmer level. However, when this is done, the CYA and calcium levels drop. This past summer my CYA dropped from 40 to 20. I bet this is how your friend gets away with using the pucks.

Either way they are replacing water. If there is rain coming, and they intentionally lower the water level, when the rain fills it back up, the CYA will be lower. Or they can passively let an overflow handle it, which may not lower the CYA quite as much, especially if the pump is not running.

well if the pool raises 4 inches to the lip and just evaporates back, down, they didn't change the CYA level. So I'm wondering if they are pre-emptively draining before storms (which would have the greatest effect of diluting) or if they are draining back down from the ledge, which is less effective, but still diluting. just curious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.