Quartz and other plaster options

natewa

Dec 31, 2015
Orange County, CA
I know that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum - and I've read most of what I can find on TFP as well. But..... Does anyone have personal experience with quartz plaster that wouldn't mind expressing their likes or dislikes? Quartz seems to be a good middle ground for me with respect to cost and durability and the option I will probably go with. I would just like to hear some opinions to help with the decision.

THANKS!

I just got plastered with DiamondBrite and it feels nice and soft to the touch. That said, I would have gone with PebbleTec for richer color options if the upgrade wasn't so darned expensive here (+$9500 over DiamondBrite).

Your theory is sound that quartz is a nice middle ground between plaster and pebble. There are lots of people on TFP who have quartz and are happy with it.

I did Quartzscapes and love the final product. Wife absolutely did not want pebble. She grew up with a pebble pool and said its ruff on your feet and ruins bathing suits. I felt that I had many color options to choose from. I loved the look of glass but it was really expensive and I had already blew my budget out of the water.

We did Pebble Fina (quarts) in steal gray. As mentioned above there is some molting. At first I was concerned/upset because it was so beautiful l for about a day when it was all one flawless color. Then the white streaks showed up they were fairly bad and stayed that way for the first 3 weeks. So much so we had to do a no drain acid wash. All I could think about was all that acid eating my new pool. I kept feeling the surface every day of the acid wash and I don’t think the texture changed if it did I could not tell. We now have a consistently random color if that makes any sense, it has the look of a granite everyone who sees it loves the look. Longevity was our primary driver as mentioned above we did not want pebbles but wanted something that could be expected to last at least 10+ years. I think the only thing I would do different is not waist the money on the acid wash they did before the pool was filled and push for a bicarb startup or at least get them to agree to let me do it without affecting the warrantee. Bottom line yes it will probably molt so look at a couple and see if you like or can live with it before deciding.

I believe that both posters above meant to say mottling of the color which can occur with all darker colored finishes. Including Pebbletec and plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Darker shows more, but my unreached and thus unproven theory is they all do it just harder to see on a light color. I think Pebble Fina is noting more than quartz with a pebble tech markup :) I would have gone with another brand if it was less expensive and my PB offered it.

I was told that all plaster mottles but it's much more noticeable on dark colors. The pebble aggregate just cover the plaster so you don't actually see the mottling. I'm too OCD and wouldn't be able to handle seeing the mottling so we had to choose a pebble aggregate finish though we're looking at a Wet Edge product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was told that all plaster mottles but it's much more noticeable on dark colors. The pebbles aggravated just cover the plaster so you don't actually see the mottling. I'm too OCD and wouldn't be able to handle seeing the mottling so we had to choose a a pebble aggravate finish though we're looking at a Wet Edge product.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I heard from PB, too. Diamondbrite "supposedly" can work without mottling through french gray on the color scale -- anything darker, all bets are off.

I did Quartzscapes and love the final product. Wife absolutely did not want pebble. She grew up with a pebble pool and said its ruff on your feet and ruins bathing suits. I felt that I had many color options to choose from. I loved the look of glass but it was really expensive and I had already blew my budget out of the water.

How do you like Midnight Blue? That's the color we're leaning towards.

I do have a little mottling but you only see it when the water is still. Even then I don't mind it. To me it gives the pool visual texture.
Hey Emerson's dad, do you have any pics? We are considering Midnight blue, and are concerned re a "swampy" effect if its too dark, we're comparing vs Pebble Fina and trying to justify the cost difference between the two.

Thanx,
Joel

Hey Emerson's dad, do you have any pics? We are considering Midnight blue, and are concerned re a "swampy" effect if its too dark, we're comparing vs Pebble Fina and trying to justify the cost difference between the two.

Thanx,
Joel

a9a98bc43a757897d8e25827ce4d0524.jpg
df5bde4c2116eda0cd308b8ed72893c5.jpg
bfc9b594705efa4e9ec38b6cfbf2c6d5.jpg

Reactions: bonanza
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.