Are all chlorine tablets the same?

Ask that around here is sort of like asking what is the best kind of Vodka at an AA meeting, for the most part we feel pucks are fine if used in moderation, such as while on vacation, or in the spring time when you may to adjust your CYA value, but they are far from the best source of regular chlorination as they drive your CYA levels through the roof.

Exactly. Coupled with Isaac's comments, there are different active ingredients in some pucks (i.e. trichlor, dichlor), each with slightly different side effects on other test levels. Since you're new to TFP, let us first say.... WELCOME :wave:, and then refer you over to our Pool School section on the home page (or link in my sig below). Very good water balancing info there.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Great to have you with us.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree with the others. Certainly do not use any that have copper or other mystery ingredients in them. I have used a few from Leslie's with good luck (because I needed all the side-effects that you will learn about reading in Pool School) and they are a very high % of trichlor. I have not used any other brands, but can imagine a difference in the binding materials causing differences.

I have had a pool for a while but with work and kid's I let it get away and spend a lot of time and money fixing it..After battling mustard algea big time last year I did drain and pressure wash my pool which was a wise call..Had what looked like sand on the bottom but I think it was dead algea..I did also order the TF test kit which was recommended, my local chain store is too interested in selling stuff them helping you :(

To further add to what all of the others have said; I would offer that yes, all of the pucks are indeed the same in that they are all evil. That said, they are sometimes a necessary evil. Study the content of the pucks thoroughly and strive to understand exactly what they will each do to your pool .

While they will all add Chlorine; most will also add CYA. They each will also add something else... that might be something you want; or it could be something completely undesired. Best to understand that in advance so you can plan accordingly.

Also to echo the others; WELCOME!!!

I lurked here for more close to two years before finally creating a profile this week. The knowledge available here is invaluable.

- - - Updated - - -

... I hope you also ordered the "speed stir"...

+1 on the speed stir... what a cool, incredibly fun addition to the mad scientist tool kit. It makes "real" measurements a snap. Add a cold beer to the mix and things just don't get much better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:( my test kit came in and one of the powders wasn't sealed good adn spilled all in the kit..I emailed the seller and hopefully they will send a replacement fast :) I did test CYA ( 50 ) and calcium ( 375 )

I have a shout to them now. I am sure they will get with you as soon as they see it. You are welcome to email them also.

They WILL take care of it. If you want to you can scoop up the loose powder if it stayed in the bag/box.

Kim

Mark, A jar of powder will be shipped to you immediately! I responded to your email, and I am sorry that the powder spilled. As mentioned, if you need to test and can get a scoopful, that should be fine until you get your new jar in a couple days. Please email me at [email protected] if I can do anything else. My apologies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.