Pentair 5 way diverted valve

May 1, 2015
Kaplan louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently changed the diverter on my pentane top mount valve. I'm thinking that since putting it back together that it may not be going thru the sand as my pool is not cleaning up. I've back washed, filtered and everything seems to work fine. While back washing & rinsing the psi runs about 10psi and when I switch to filter it jumps to 14psi which to me would indicate that my water is passing thru the sand and that the diverter valve is functioning correctly. Would anyone have any pointers or helpful information? I am currently in the process of bring my pool FC back to shock level (10) and beginning the SLAM process again as my water is staying cloudy.
FC 4
cc 1
Cya 20
Ta 70
PH 7.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick, not sure if you realize this, but in your original question, you actually kind of said two different things that seem a bit confusing:
I'm thinking that since putting it back together that it may not be going thru the sand
when I switch to filter it jumps to 14psi which to me would indicate that my water is passing thru the sand

:confused: But whenever a diverter valve is removed/replaced, the first question we need to verify (basic and silly as it may seem) ..... are you positive the valve was installed the same way it came off? That drives everything. After that, are you sure the spider gasket was installed properly (not kinked) if applicable? Finally, we should ask ... Did you do any other maintenance to the filter?

Now if we determine the filter is mechanically fine, then we can focus on helping you with your water chemistry. I think it's safe to say your pool water is expected to be cloudy from the algae bloom that you are working on (SLAM). So perhaps that's the only issue at the moment?

In the meantime, here's a decent troubleshooting video and TFP pages that may give you some insight as to what's happening:
Pool Sand Filter Tips, Tricks Troubleshooting, Sand Filter Part 1 - YouTube.
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Of course the SLAM link is in my sig if you have any questions about that. If you still find yourself concerned that you may have a filter issue after reading the links provided, let us know and we'll investigate further.

The diverter valve I'm talking about is the 5 way valve sitting on top of the sand filter where you can select filter/backwash etc. the Pentair valve that I have does not allow you to change just the spider gasket (I purchased 5 gaskets before finding this out) so I had to change the diverter "cone" which the gasket is attached too. I'm pretty certain that it's on correct because the pressure increase indicates that the water is posing thru the sand in the filter. I'm just second guessing myself because it's been roughly a week and my water is still very cloudy to where I can't see the bottom of the pool. I wasn't able to properly slam the pool and I work away from home so I won't be back for another week before I can get back to troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. No problems. Not much you can do on the road anyways. When you get back, I'd suggest a fresh set of test results. It certainly is possible all of your cloudiness and concerns are related to algae. At least that costs nothing more than some regular bleach to resolve. Safe travels, give us a shout when you get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.