Rust question

Oct 28, 2015
Dudley, Ga
I've looked through the various threads and see how to use vitamin C to remove small rust areas (I have one on my ladder and one on the fiberglass steps, likely from the water being out of balance due to the previous owner not having a clue how to manage a pool.). My question is this: given that my two spots are not very big, do I need to use a sequestrant? Or is that needed for larger removal only? I've included pictures of my two spots. Please excuse the pollen, I do brush it down every day, it's just a never ending process right now. :)

d9e5c9d4185d531592d005898fc5152f.jpg
bcb1673852c871172b807d3759d17254.jpg

28k gal rectangular I ground vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor C40 SWG, Pentair SandDollar filter, Pentair 1.5hp pump with a Pentair 3/4hp booster pump for the KreepyKrauly. Using Taylor K2005 test kit with additional Taylor FAS/DPD kit and following the TFP maintenance method.

Izzy, can you re-post the question after removing the pollen please? I'm kidding! :lol: I couldn't resist. :razz: It is true that vitamin C is used to determin is a stain might be metal related (i.e. iron), but that doesn't necessarily mean you have the same problem at this point - although you are on well water. I can't tell, are those two different pics posted side-by-side? My eyes are playing tricks on me. Many of those ladders simply develop rust over time either because of the way they were made, or in some pools that may a little more salt than others. Was the other spot against the waterline because of something resting against it?

It's possible that your ladder is simply rusting due to age or how it was made. Not sure about that spot against the waterline. But if you were curious about metal content, you could take a fresh sample (from your hose not pool) to the pool store and have them do a test. Ignore everything say about your TFP levels, just bring-back what they say about any metal (i.e. iron).

Other than these two questionable areas, how is the rest of the pool/water? Overall, no tea or emerald colored water? When you post back, it might be a good idea to include a full set of test results as well okay. :)

Let us know and we'll work with you on this.

Thank you! Those are the only two rust spots. One is on the fiberglass steps leading into the pool, just below the coping. The other, as you saw, is on the ladder. If I can ever figure out how to take the ladder out, I was thinking of using a wire brush to remove the rust and then a quick touch up with some rust oleum? The other spot, on the steps, I'd like to try the ascorbic acid to remove it. That's where I'm wondering if I need a sequestrant since I obviously can't take the steps out...

Current values:
FC 5.6
CC: 0
Ph 7.4
Alk: 50
CYA 60
Salt: 3200
CH 220

Added CYA yesterday. Started with no measurable CYA when we bought the house in November. Working to get it to 70-80. Added sodium Bicarb (baking soda) this morning to bump alkalinity to the 60-80 range.

28k gal rectangular Inground vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor C40 SWG, Pentair SandDollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5hp pump with a Pentair 3/4hp booster pump for the KreepyKrauly Legend. Using Taylor K2005 test kit with additional Taylor FAS/DPD kit and following the TFP maintenance method. Pool built 2013, new owner since 11/15. Pool care newbie.

do I need to use a sequestrant? Or is that needed for larger removal only?
sequestrants prevent staining but have little to do with removing them. Ascorbic acid, Vitamin C(same thing), lower pH are all iron stain removers but sequestrants are not.

Those stains are not from iron precipitation. That is from solid iron in direct contact with water and causes rust. You must remove the source of iron and then repair the rust on your equipment.

The spot on your liner looks like its above the waterline. Can you try to scrub at it with ascorbic acid in a (dampened) sock without necessarily getting a ton in the pool? I've spot treated this way before with AA without having to adjust water parameters.

You have an swg, so only sequester if you notice water staining, eg all over liner, steps, skimmer faceplates etc., and only use the sequestrants made for swg eg jacks purple or magenta, if you do. That protects your salt cell from fouling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.