Spring Texas, Construction Progress

Mar 21, 2016
Spring, Texas
Hello Folks!

I am down to two pool builders. I have attached both designs. I'd like any feedback or advice from all of you experts! I am hoping to document my build along the way!

We'd like a rock water fall with weeping walls, flagstone coping, and pebble sheen interior. Our big priority for the pool is that it is a fun pool. I have two teenage daughters and I'd like a pool large enough that they can have a bunch of friends over and enjoy the pool. We have an existing covered patio, summer kitchen and free standing fire pit with ceramic tile decking. I'd like a pool that is as energy efficient as possible. Would you recommend upgrading to a variable speed pump given the specifications of this pool? I have received conflicting advice. :eek: Any suggestions regarding these designs, enough decking, anything look off? I am very new to this and trying to learn as much as possible so that I don't make decisions I'll regret later. I am curious. Is there anything you'd do differently if you were starting over?

Here are the proposals and photos I've received from the two builders.
Design 1: tillis sun2_004 (2).jpg
  • Pool Area: 490 square feet
  • Perimeter: 91
  • Depth: 3.5-6
  • pool size 32X12X23.5
  • Jandy Cartridge CV 460
  • Jandy PHPM 2 hp pum
  • 2 skimmers
  • 3-12 volt white LEDs
  • 4 drains
  • 5 inlets
  • Intermatic dual timer
  • polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster pump
  • Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator
  • Flagstone coping
  • standard tile
  • pebble sheen
  • 495 sq ft pea gravel decking
  • no rock water fall
Design 2 :2.jpg

• Pool Area: 567 square feet
  • Perimeter: 106
  • Depth: 3.5-6
  • pool size 14x39 - 17,000
  • Pentair 520 Cartridge
  • 2 Pentair 2HP pumps - one for water fall
  • 2 skimmers
  • 6 directional fittings
  • 4 drains
  • 2-colored LED lights
  • Intermatic dual timer/ with freeze protect
  • polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster pump
  • Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator
  • Flagstone coping
  • standard tile
  • pebble sheen
  • 693 sq ft pea gravel decking
  • 4 ton rock water fall / weeping wall
  • sun shelf with extended second step

Re: Spring Texas, Selecting a pool builder, design, and equipment---help please!

Those both are nice pools and reasonably priced compared to where I live.
I would be happy with either.

regarding the pump, you should at least go for a 2 speed filter pump instead of single speed. You dont need to run a pump at full speed all the time. A two speed pump is very economical to operate.

Optionally, you could go for a VS pump. They cost more, but they also offer more features, such as built in timer, freeze protection, ability to run scheduled programs etc, and IMO, these features are value add. I love my VS pump.

If there is a downside to the VS pump, its the upfront cost and also the electronic controls are susceptible to voltage surges.
You can mitigate the voltage surge risk with a surge supressor though. Cost of a surge protectior is about 100 dolars online.

good luck with your project. It looks nice!

Re: Spring Texas, Selecting a pool builder, design, and equipment---help please!

They both look beautiful - but Pool 2 sound like an amazing deal! You could go with pool 2, change to white lights and get your VS pump and probably still cut your price down more to match builder 1.

Looks great!

Thank you so much! I'll ask my builder about the surge protector. I think I'll go ahead and invest in the variable speed pump. It's 650 more...which seems like it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. If you don't mind answering another question, what is the point of freeze protection?

I can totally answer on freeze protection!!!! I am just a little North of you and my freeze protection showed itself yesterday :) So there is a temperature gauge that is on your pump - and it keeps a constant temperature of outside air (as well as your pool temp) - when the outside air gets to freezing - your pool pumps automatically come on - so that you don't have to worry about anything freezing. (since pipes are exposed)

It is a nice feature - you don't have to even think about it - it just does it when it needs to be done.

Thank you so much! I didn't realize that the colored light vs white lights was such a significant price difference. I'll have to look at that. BTW. Your pool looks fantastic! Before posting my thread...yours was once I reviewed!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! I am going to ask my pool builder about the surge protector. It's reassuring that it looks like I may be getting a good deal:D. One more question, if you don't mind, what is the purpose of the freeze protection mechanism? I am pretty sure that I'll go with a VS pump. Looks like I can re-coup my costs fairly quickly.

Thank you! Well we are super close if you need to view anything in person - I know I would have loved to be able to go "SEE" how some of the stuff looked in person. ESPECIALLY when you get to pebble color. That was the hardest decision! The build part is SO FUN! I can't wait to pop in and read everything! Make sure to take lots of before pictures for us too!

Thanks Sunbaby!! Sounds like a very helpful feature. I realize that I just repeated myself. Still trying to figure out how to reply to these threads!

I'd love to take a look! We are actually in the midst of moving into this house where we will build the pool..closing next week. Hoping to start construction within a month of move in! Pebble sheen is a huge decision. I see you have the blue granite which I think is a very popular color. I'll get pictures up for sure! I think that's the fun part!

Hi Sunny! Fellow Spring person here. We are waiting on HOA approval....

I chose the 2 speed pump over the vs, but that freeze protection make me rethink my decision. I did decide to upgrade to the colored lights though. It was $250 more per light. The more I read here about what upgrades people wish they had gotten, the more changes I send my pb...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Honestly speaking,
its likely the VS pump will likely not pay for itself for years to come unless your electric cost exceeds .20 KWH.
If recovering your investment is your primary pump concern, then a 2 speed pump would be a better option.

Like I mentioned though, there are a lot of features on the VS pump that IMO, are worth considering. Especially the program schedule. Once the pool is up and running, and you have figured out some things, you can set up or adjust a run schedule and each run time can be at various RPMs and pretty much forget about it. It's an awesome feature.

As for the surge protector, ask your PB to quote you a Intermatic PS3000. Its a good product, economical, and will work great with a VS pump.

If you go with a VS pump, then have the PB also change the dual timer to a single timer.

Thank you so much! I'll ask my builder about the surge protector. I think I'll go ahead and invest in the variable speed pump. It's 650 more...which seems like it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. If you don't mind answering another question, what is the point of freeze protection?

Colored LED lights do cost more, but are well worth considering. They appear to attract fewer bugs and the different colors available at night really do look cool and are not as blazing bright. They also cost less to run. I went with a 2 speed pump and have all the programming features available through electric timer which lets me set 3 time zones for each speed high, low, and cleaner. I also get the freeze protection this way. I believe the electric timers are $150 or so depending on what you get installed.

We are in Spring as well...and are just a few steps behind ya. I had somebody from Anthony Sylvan it's 45k for a pool to start before ever meeting a design guy. So I am leaning towards an OB project to get more pool..please keep us updated on your progress...there is a wealth of treasure and knowledge on this site...so happy I found it!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Colored LED lights do cost more, but are well worth considering. They appear to attract fewer bugs and the different colors available at night really do look cool and are not as blazing bright. They also cost less to run. I went with a 2 speed pump and have all the programming features available through electric timer which lets me set 3 time zones for each speed high, low, and cleaner. I also get the freeze protection this way. I believe the electric timers are $150 or so depending on what you get installed.

I think I'll stick with the colored lights if this is the case. Doesn't seem like it's too much of an expense. Thank you!

Those prices are great. Pool #2 is the deal.

We're in Spring too. If you want to see relative deck area or anything else you are quite welcome to come look. PM me.

Welcome to TFP!

I highly recommend a VS pump. I love mine and will get another one when this one quits. I like pool 2 also. You don't need a second pump for the waterfall. We have a Jandy valve in the return plumbing that switches water going to the returns, waterfall or a mix of both. My VS pump does not have any issue sending more than enough water to the waterfall, even when solar is running.

It is OK to discuss and recommend PBs, just avoid negative comments, those need to stay in PMs.

I think the two colored LEDs will be MUCH more enjoyable than the three white LED lamps. I have two colored LED lights in my pool. There is enough light, and the colors are fun. I never turn them to the white color mode.

Since you also have the moss rock design, I would add a jump rock on the right if possible, next to the deck/moss rock transition, especially if you have young kids that will be swimming. The extra height is fun, and losing the 4-9 square feet of deck may pay for the rock. It also makes for a more natural transition, at least to me.

Lastly, I REALLY recommend falling water and the resulting splashy noises somewhere. I don't use mine often (separate pump), but sometimes, sometimes, the noise is very tranquil and well worth it. This was my mother-in-law's favorite feature of our pool.

It is OK to discuss and recommend PBs, just avoid negative comments, those need to stay in PMs.

I agree that this is the spirit of (and maybe even the actual intent of) the forum rules. PB's should receive a shout out for jobs well done.

But clearly we should avoid any negative comments about Named PB's like the plague.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.