Skimmer has 2 ports, one plugged Also need manual vac to replace dead Kreepy

Mar 3, 2016
Tucson
I appear to have zero draw into the main drain. When I brush fine dust over it I see nothing going that way. Background: This pool was built in 1977 by Patio Pools with the turbo heads in the floor that never worked well. At some point my family added a Kreepy Kraully with the skimmer attachment. Would someone have capped one of the skimmer ports to increase suction?

Also, I have taped the current Kreepy together for the last few years and it's ready for the trash. I'm happy to put it there as I'm tired of kicking it when I'm trying to swim. What's the best manual device for vacuuming the bottom? I see things that use a garden hose and others that I assume I'd have to use a skimmer attachment for. Yes cost is important so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

If the hole in the skimmer closest to the pool is plugged then that means that your bottom drain is not plumbed to the skimmer. Which should also mean that there is a valve in front of the pump to switch from drain to skimmer. Even with my skimmers off and all suction from the drain there is still not a lot suction there. Sometimes I have to brush dust over the drain a couple of times to get it to go.

But, who knows how they did things in 1977? I have weird plumbing issues in my 1975 house right now because of how they did it back then.

My previous pool was a 70's vintage and a previous owner had plugged the main drain and the second opening in the skimmer that goes to the main drain, due to a leak in the pipe between the skimmer and main drain. I didn't figure it out until I removed the drain cover and found that the pipe had been plugged at both ends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.