Where is my Cl going?

Jul 16, 2015
San Jose
Hi all, I am at the point in a start up from getting new plaster (Primera from wet edge) where I am trying to get Cl up. I'm still having to add some acid to keep pH down but that seems to behaving predictably. My TA is good and CYA is pretty low maybe too low. I used up all my reagent so I can't test right now. But I can't get Cl levels to come up. (currently have 0 cl both FC and CC) I have put in multiple gallons over the last 2 days.

Is it just not any CYA? I am very hesitant to bring up CYA since I am in CA and if I over shoot it there is nothing I can do to bring it down.

What am I missing?

No CYA and you will lose almost all of your free chlorine in no time at all. You really need to get some reagents and test that CYA. If you think you are at zero, and you probably are with new water if the plaster people didn't add any, then at least consider a target of 30 ppm. But hey, what about your plaster folks? Didn't they help with your start-up? You don't' want to mess their process and void your warranty.

The plaster folks did tell me that I had some CYA and that I shouldn't need any. However when I tested it myself I could see the black dot when the tube was full. But that was the last of my reagent and I was slightly shy of the right amount needed for the test.

I think I will email the plaster guys and run to the pool store tomorrow to get some reagent, more Cl and stabilizer.

If you can't find the R-0013 CYA reagent locally, TFTestkits can expedite some to you. I never like the PB response of "there is some in there". I remember how they added it to my pool .... just poured it in with no measuring. I can certainly understand your concern to not exceed your intended goal, and for them to say "some" leaves a lot for room for guessing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.