Replacing 3/4hp pump with 1.5ph pump: To much pump?? Will I Have issues?

Nov 24, 2007
VA
My Hayward Super Pump ¾ HP died when closing the pool so I need a new one before opening it in the next few months. I got a very good deal ($25) for a two year old 1.5 HP pump. The 1.5hp pump is probably close to overkill for a pool of my size, but will I do any damage using the bigger HP pump?
Pool info: inground, 16x32, about 22k gallons. One skimmer and pump will be maybe five feet away from pool/skimmer.

The bigger the pump, more $$$ you spend on electricity.

That said, the HP only tells a portion of the story as the pump design also influences the amount of water it will move.

What type and size of filter do you have?
What is the specific brand and model of the pump?

Currently have a very old sand filter (SP Filter SP-50). Filter area 2.7sq ft (52 gmp flow rate and 50 max psi). I'm thinking of changing it out with a Sand Master SM2106T Filter area 2.2 sq ft (44 gpm flow rate and 50 max psi) I know it's smaller but I'm not to sure my current sp-50 is working that well.

The new (to me) pump is the Hayward sp2610x15. But the motor was replaced two years ago with a UST1152.

All going through 1.5 piping

Don't know the specs on your pump yet but it looks like the pump is too big for the filter. Your filter doesn't want more flow than 52 gpm and that pump is likely capable of much more than that so it is forcing water too fast through the filter.

What is the psi?

Don't know the specs on your pump yet but it looks like the pump is too big for the filter. Your filter doesn't want more flow than 52 gpm and that pump is likely capable of much more than that so it is forcing water too fast through the filter.

What is the psi?

I don't know what the psi of the pump is. I looked all over online and can't find that figure. I can't find that for any pump actually.

Hi,
I had a 1.5hp pump on the same size filter.
It will work. It does blow through the filter. And and your electric bill will go way up. If your swim season is very long at all you will probably save money buying a 3/4hp.
Oh suction side will probably need hard plumbed or really good hose.

So probably no damage to the pool, damage to your wallet is assured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new pump motor will fit on your old pump's wet end and even though the motor is larger, it will still draw about the same power and have exactly the same flow rate as your old pump because it is the impeller and not the motor that determines the "size" of a pump. You will need to replace the impeller on the working motor with your old impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.