katherineutc

Silver Supporter
Dec 1, 2015
Concord, NC
Hello all! I've been lurking over here for months, finally stepping out of the shadows to say hi. I live in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. We purchased a house with a pool back in November (have never had one before), so I started out not being able to figure out how to turn the pump on (true story) to being more familiar with the system.

The people from whom we purchased the house have never covered the pool, so we had to tend to it over the fall and winter, draining it after hard rains, cleaning out leaves and such, etc. Funny enough, the pool has an Ecosmarte system, which was highly glamorized in the advertisements for the house and the listings. Before closing, the owner excitedly asked me if I had read up on the "Eco-Smartie" system (as she called it). Having researched it here, I replied, "Er... I found some questionable things, we will probably convert to a chlorine pool." She literally flinched like I had slapped her in the face! Lol. She narrowed her eyes and said, "Well. That's up to YOU, but that system is the easiest thing EVER, when we build a pool at our new house I will absolutely put another one in. Having water that clean has kept the equipment and liner in great shape. You are making a huge mistake." I felt like telling her she's been swimming in a cess pool for years. lol. Ah well.

So, long story short, the copper in the pool is around 0.4 and we will soon be converting it over, maybe to a SWG.

I am ordering my TF-100 kit today, it looks like they are also based in NC so hopefully it should be here quickly!! :cool:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:.

Very nice first post!! EcoSmarte and others rely on marketing to sell their product.....often marketing that misleads into thinking it is something it is not.

Congratulations on doing your homework. An SWG will work great for you. That .4 ppm copper in your water probably won't hurt anything in a vinyul pool but I would put a sharp focus on keeping pH down. High pH is usually the leading cause of the metals staining your pool surface so down around 7.3 to 7.5 until the copper slowly reduces.

I happened to speak to TFTestkits a while ago......Your kit will ship tomorrow and should be in your possession on Wednesday

Hi there!!! Good for you for LEARNING how to best care for your pool AND the people in it! Kind of scary how others do it :(

It will be VERY hard for you to swim in others pools and the motel pools *shudder* LOL

Kim

Welcome to the forum. :wave:.

Very nice first post!! EcoSmarte and others rely on marketing to sell their product.....often marketing that misleads into thinking it is something it is not.

Congratulations on doing your homework. An SWG will work great for you. That .4 ppm copper in your water probably won't hurt anything in a vinyul pool but I would put a sharp focus on keeping pH down. High pH is usually the leading cause of the metals staining your pool surface so down around 7.3 to 7.5 until the copper slowly reduces.

I happened to speak to TFTestkits a while ago......Your kit will ship tomorrow and should be in your possession on Wednesday

Yup, PH is sitting right now at 7.3...