Help with Acid Wash Decision

philp3

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi All -

Today I am in the process of draining my pool. I really need advice on whether I should do an acid wash and probably bead blasting of tile while the pool is empty.

Doing some reading on here it seems that an acid wash will lessen the life of the pebble-tec?

However, I've also read that with patience and by following a certain method over time I can probably dissolve the build-up instead of an acid wash?

I'm just not sure if the trade off of an acid wash is worth it and I could really use some definitive advice. I've taken some photos at the link below. It's seems like a good amount of build-up and I believe it does cause some discomfort for swimmers if they rub against the wall or bottom of the pool.

I don't mind being patient and following a long-term chemical plan, but I also don't mind paying to have it done all at once.

Just not sure which direction to go.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

https://goo.gl/photos/fFEMmNfjnbCnjgX19

When a new pool is done they do an acid start up before they ever add water.

I would do an acid wash for sure. Add to that some elbow grease to get it all off once and for all.

THEN.................keep the water balanced the TFP way. To do that you really, like in pretty please, really need your own test kit. Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

If you have your own test kit and follow the TFP guidelines you should not have to do this again! I am going to link you to the whys and hows of TFP. It is quite a bit of reading BUT well worth it to take control of your own pool.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The stuff we use in our pool can be bought at Walmart and Lowes........how neat is that????? Here is a link to what we use and why.......do NOT go buy any of it except the chlorine until we know what your fill water is like. You might not need it all.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Once you get your test kit let us know and we can move onto the next stage of you learning to take care of your own pool and saving money!

Kim

Thanks for the quick replies. After the first reply, I scheduled an acid wash for the pebble tec and bead blast for the tile. I like the idea of starting from new-ish and following the TFP methods from here on.

Unfortunately i didn't find TFP in time to get it right the first time, but better late than never :)

Phil,

If you do go with a No Drain Acid Wash (Zero Alkalinity Treatment), you will need to find a way to bypass or remove your heater. You should also remove all lights from their niches and the steel retaining rings that hold them in place. A low pH treatment such as this will be very detrimental to any metal items in your water.

One other thing to consider is finding a bead blasting company that uses soda blasting instead of glass beads. There is an outfit in Phoenix, AZ that I have used that uses kierserite blasting (magnesium sulfate) and it worked flawlessly in removing the calcium scale on my tiles several years back. The material is hard enough to blast away calcium but soft enough to not damage tile glaze. It even works on glass tile without scratching. Glass bead blasting is kind of the "industry standard" but if the person doing it is too aggressive or too inexperienced, the glass beads can damage tile glaze and grout. Just a thought if you can find someone near you that does it.

Good luck,

Matt

I have a Taylor k-2006 test kit that I haven't used yet. If you don't think that's good I'll order one of the kits you suggest.

One other quick question. Am I safe to have my pool empty for a week? Obviously I didn't time this well.

Phil,

If you do go with a No Drain Acid Wash (Zero Alkalinity Treatment), you will need to find a way to bypass or remove your heater. You should also remove all lights from their niches and the steel retaining rings that hold them in place. A low pH treatment such as this will be very detrimental to any metal items in your water.

Good luck,

Matt
Good info...I'm day 3 into my new pool startup. 16k gallon pool and they drumped 9 gallons of acid in.

pH is lime green low (any guess?), and TA is nil.

So the idea is to remove stains and excess plaster right? I have an aggregate finish.

How long before the pH rises from nonnuclear levels? Should I try and raise my TA?

Thx
Phil,

One other thing to consider is finding a bead blasting company that uses soda blasting instead of glass beads. There is an outfit in Phoenix, AZ that I have used that uses kierserite blasting (magnesium sulfate) and it worked flawlessly in removing the calcium scale on my tiles several years back. The material is hard enough to blast away calcium but soft enough to not damage tile glaze. It even works on glass tile without scratching. Glass bead blasting is kind of the "industry standard" but if the person doing it is too aggressive or too inexperienced, the glass beads can damage tile glaze and grout. Just a thought if you can find someone near you that does it.

Good luck,

Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.