Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How far away can solar panels be from pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How far away can solar panels be from pump

Ok my pool is about 20 ft from the house. I have a 1.5 hp pump, could I actually run pvc over to the house to mount my solar collectors?? I woud think this would be too far away.. Any thoughts??
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.
    More to come soon as I am a Newbie!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How far away can solar panels be from pump

20 feet horizontally is not a problem at all. Vertical travel is much more of an issue. How high above the pool water line are you planning to mount the panels?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well whatever a standard 1 story house is from the ground??? I dont know.. Just tryin to weigh my options.
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.
    More to come soon as I am a Newbie!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ours are around 50' away from the pump and the top of the panels are about 20' high. About the same height of a one story house.

No problems using 2" pvc for the run and pushing the water with a 1hp pump.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

Not all above ground pool pumps can handle lifting water large vertical distances. In-ground pumps are much better at that. If the bottom of the pool and the floor of the house are at about the same level you should be alright. But the more vertical distance there is, the more chance you will need an auxiliary pump for the solar panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School