Failed Intermatic DIY Mod Solution, How?

Mar 21, 2016
texas
My intermatic's auto function timer went out about 3 years ago during a freeze. There's an on/off switch in the line to the timer I have been using to operate the pool. To replace the daily walks I want to spend as little as possible to install a mod if I can away with that instead of replacing the failed unit. My idea is to install a wi-fi smart plug between the on/off switch and the timer such as this or this one. I am handy but I need guidance on making sure power ratings/amps/wattage etc of these devices matches.

Which wifi plug will handle my pump's power requirements or what should I look for?

PLUG-1
Working voltage:AC110~240V
Max power:2000W(resistance loading)
Working current:MAX 10A
Color:pearl White
Material:ABS flame retarding polymer
Standard:5 holes standard,China
Wireless frequency:2.412~2.484GHz
Wireless IEEE standards:WiFi 2.4GHz b/g/n
Security type:WEP/TKIP/AES
Security regime:WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Wireless consuming:≤0.3W
Temp:-20~40℃ Humidity:≤80%

PLUG-2
Input voltage: AC 90-265V 50/60HZ
Max Power rating: 2200W
Maximum current:10A
WiFi amplify: 15DBM
WiFi standard: 802.11B/G/N

PLUG-3
Operating Voltage: AC power input AC110V ~ 240V
Output Power: Maximum output power 3500W
Output current protection action: ≥ 16A
Plug mating cycles: > 5000

Here is my main pump and the rarely used polaris pump

20160321_112632_164.jpg
Polaris pump
20160321_112842_344.jpg

Here is the setup
20160321_112819_837.jpg

The second solution I have in mind is to add one of those timers from Lowes, but same idea, just add a plug between the on/off switch and the intermatic. I just don't know the right one, see here.

As Mark said, you can buy just the internals of the timer. Even further than that, if you know which part is bad (i.e. timer motor) you can buy parts for it.

The problem with those switches listed is that they're usually not rated for motor (inductive) loads.

You also don't tell us whether the pump is wired for 120 volts or 240 volts. If it's 240 volts the idea of installing a plug won't work.

If it's the basic intermatic timer (the one on the left), most failures are just the clock motor. A new one can be had for less than $20.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought you needed to replace the timer on right which is electronic. So I think you will need to replace the whole thing.

Oops that is correct. Senior moment. The one on the left is for the polaris, works great. The electronic one on the right is the troubled one.

I appreciate the input guys. I hope I don't come off as one who won't follow the advice already given. I am on a tight budget. I guess what I am wondering is is there a way at all, to put this pool pump back on a functional safe timer for a budget of <50 bucks, be it a substitute...a mod...? Such as this woods timer. Can this work...i.e. match the power requirements of my pump (pump pic is at the beginning of this post) See here -> Woods Timer http://s31.postimg.org/sm1w0f197/IMG08.jpg

If you just want to replace the timer with a basic intermatic 220v timer, they can be had for about $50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.