EZ way to remove skimmer basket

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
Hello, all. I am an oldster and have a bad back which made removing the basket from my skimmer very hard for me. I came up with a handle idea that I thought I would share and possibly help someone else in my situation.

I ordered a 1/8” diameter 3’ long stainless steel rod type 316/316L and cut it down to 28”. I used a pneumatic cutoff tool to do this, but a hacksaw would also work. I then on each end put a small amount in a vice and used a hammer to make a 90 degree bend. I was then able to grab each end and make a long sweeping bend in the whole rod, with each of the small bends facing out.

I used a 3/16” drill bit to enlarge a couple of the slots in the basket for the small bends to fit into and marked the holes with a sharpie indelible marker so that I could easily see the holes when I went to install the handle into the basket. I use a hairnet in the skimmer basket, but the rod pokes right through it when installing it.

So now I only have to bend down just a little to remove the skimmer basket lid and pull the basket out or put it in in.

Here is a link for the stainless rod from Mcmaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3777/=11mxlj4 J

Hope this might make life a little easier for someone!

THAT is PERFECT!! I need this bad.... I lifted the lid the other day and there was a thin snake in there. Ugh. (needless to say I put the lid back on and walked away :oops: Skippy could deal with it later :batman: , lol)

Every handle I have seen so far interfered with using a skimmer sock so your idea fixes that glitch.

Thanks!

Now make one for adding the gallon of chlorox and all us oldsters will have a party :) And I might buy one.

That one would be a little tougher. I have a Stenner pump for Chlorine (bleach) and the tank is raised a bit and is easy to fill. May be you could find a plastic funnel that you could glue into a length of PVC pipe. Then standing upright you could place the end of the pipe near the water, hold the funnel with one hand and pour the bleach into the funnel with your other hand. I would suggest wearing saftey glasses when doing this so that if the bleach splashes you won't get it in your eye. Old age isn't what it's cracked up to be. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.