Do I need a better pump

Apr 27, 2009
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello I have been reading this site non stop for 4 days it has so much good info.
Last year I had an 18' round intex with a 1500 gph filter pump and intex salt chlorinator that was great so this year
I decided to go bigger.

My question is the 3/4hp 4000gph pump from intex strong enough. This is what I have planned. Pump to salt chlorinator to Solar panels that I will place on roof( quanitity and brand still undecided but leaning toward solar bear because of 2" header) I will have a leaf skimmer and hopefully an automatic vacuum attached also. I have not set anything up yet but am I doing to much.

thanks

From what I understand, it all depends on how long you want to run your pump. Also, you need to know your total head to know exactly what real gpm/gph your pump is able to produce. 4000 gph is probably "best case scenario" so I would not count on it.

I would say with your pool size 3/4 Hp is more that enougth - you will get 4 hour turnover time for sure, so all you need is to run it 4 - 8 hour per day.

Igor.

The maximum head of the pump must be greater than the height of the solar in order to prime the solar. The Intex pumps tend to have low head so I'm not sure it would work properly but you need to check the head curve of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.