Starting 5th year with pool

Apr 13, 2015
Greensburg/Pa
I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all the insight and knowledge, I have gained from reading all the posts.
I opened my pool last week cause it was a green swamp looking mess. This was the first winter we did not cover the pool, and found out that
the sun over the mild winter will kill all chlorine that was in the pool. We get plenty of leaves over the fall , but thought we could keep up with it, but next winter we will try a mesh cover and see if that helps. We always used a regular cover, but ended up dumping all the leaves back in the pool. We also used a pump to drain the water off the cover. This seemed like a lot of work, but having a green pool is not fun.

So I used my test kit and went to work. I also use $1 home store chlorine to maintain the pool.
These were my numbers when I started slamming.

FC 0
CC 0.5
TA 100
CYA 95
PH 7.8

I wasn't sure if the chlorine would do the job, but I dumped 10 96 oz jugs into the pool to start the process, knowing I had to get to FC 36. I wasn't able to put more chlorine for another 12 hrs, when I started the next day my FC was at 16, so I added another 6 jugs, then after 2 hours another 3 jugs, then after 2 hours another 3 jugs, after the next 2 hours I had reached my FC of 36. I was pretty happy. So the next day I added another 3 jugs after seeing the pool was getting better. I continued to brush the sides and vacumm the pool. Well after 3 days my pool was clear again. Its a pretty good felling knowing the pool was clear.

FC 8
CC 0
TA 100
CYA 95
PH 7.8

I know I have to get the CYA down, but the pool is clear and the $1 brand bleach works.
Thanks TFP

Woo! That's a lot of bleach. 3 days is pretty fast for a SLAM. So you already passed all 3 SLAM criteria, one of those being the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? Sounds like you've been doing some reading, but if you have any questions, please let us know. Glad to hear things are getting better. As time goes on, your CYA should slowly come down, mostly via through water exchange, and maybe a small amount through simple use/conversion. That should help make things easier for you in the future. Enjoy your swimming season Kevin. Have a great day.

7.8 is as high as you want to let it go. Just keep an eye on it. If it tries to go higher, a little acid will do the trick. If it continues to be a pain by climbing too quickly all the time, let the TA sink down with over time to about 70-80 and see if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.