Pool Pump and Motor Advice

Apr 11, 2011
I'm trying to decide which pool pump to purchase and if a 2 speed would work with my set-up. I was looking at the Pentair Whisperflow with a 1/2 hp motor but can't figure out the two speed option. Low speed seems like it wouldn't help most in-ground pools. Thinking about 2 turnovers a day and running the pump for 20hrs/day.

Pool set-up
In-ground lazy L pool - 29,025 gals
Head in ft - 49
Sand filter - Sand - SD-60, Max flow rate - 60, filter area - 2.3
Chlorine generator - Pentair IntelliChlor - IC60
1.5 inch pipe size

29,025 gals x 2 turnovers = 58,050 gals

24 hrs - 2,419 gph - 40.3 gpm
20 hrs - 2,903 gph - 48.4 gpm
16 hrs - 3,628 gph - 60.5 gpm

Please let me know if I am missing any information, and I certainly appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks.....Keith

I've always found this article in Pool School helpful. Pool School - Pump Basics

With your size pool, I think that a 3/4 HP, 2-speed pump would be best. Turnover time is useful for giving you a relative number in helping to size the pump. However, in practical application, such as how long you'll actually need to run the pump each day, you DO NOT need to make sure to "turn over" the water every day. You only need to run the pump long enough on low-speed to properly skim the pool and in your case, long enough to run the SWG to add enough chlorine. I would recommend starting with 4-6 hours of run time, and your SWG set at 80-100%. Adjust run time and SWG output with a priority on running the pump for short times with high SWG outputs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.