JimbobT

Mar 20, 2016
Palm Harbor, FL
Greetings to all.

My name is James, or Jim, or Jimbob... doesn't really matter so long as it's not "late for dinner."

I'm on my fourth pool as either a homeowner or renter. First pool was above ground, vinyl lined, chlorine in the northern (Michigan) climate. Second pool was an in-ground gunite pool with a SWG in Florida. My third and fourth pools are running concurrently in my current rented home as well as the home I just purchased; both are in-ground gunite on standard chlorine.

For my first pool up north, I never worried about much except chlorine and pH. Somehow, I managed to succeed despite my lack of knowledge.

My second pool with the SWG was great, though I still largely succeeded "despite myself." I didn't really know what I was doing but a general distrust of contractors combined with my electrical engineering background and DIY approach to most things managed to succeed.

For my 3rd pool, in my current rented home, we actually have a pool company that is included with our rent. I have a deal worked out with the pool tech that he will not add tabs to the chlorine in-line feeder, only liquid chlorine. He does his thing once a week and he leaves a 2.5G jug of pool chlorine for me to use on my own in between . Have never had a better looking pool ; using largely what I have learned here as a troll for the past two years. Admittedly, I was relying on pool store measurements, but making my own decisions based off of those measurements.

For my 4th pool, on the home we just purchased, it is a work in progress, though already light years ahead of where it was just three weeks ago. When we closed on the purchase in late February, there was a build-up of significant organic matter on the bottom of the pool, though it was still largely "clear." That said, Chlorine was at 0 and pH was at 7.0. I added a suction-based MX-6 pool cleaner to the pool, replaced a clogged cartridge filter (was running at 28 psi with the old one and now at 7-9 with the new one and after weekly cleanings), then I SLAM'ed it. I've still been relying on pool store measurements until today (we have a GREAT pool store close by) but today, I finally used my first ever TF-100 test kit.

I am pleased to say that the numbers I measured are not much different from those the pool store provided. That said, I am more determined that ever to acquire only hardware and chlorine from the pool store, following the trouble-free method otherwise.

Using my newly-acquired TF-100 today, I can see that I'm ready to be done SLAMing and let the FC drift back down to target range.

Numbers are as follows:

pH = 7.6
FC = 20.5
CC = 0 (yay!)
CH = 450 (a bit high, not sure what the previous owner did or did not do; will get lowered by replacement water from use)
TA = 100
CYA = 50

It felt very good to measure my own complete set of measurements for the new pool and using that information, I now know I can let the FC drift to normal; then supplement accordingly; all while enjoying a very sparkly, blue, pool, that reached 78F today.

I cannot say enough for what I have learned here as a troll.

~JimbobT

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, not a troll at all. A troll is:
a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.
Quote from Wikipedia

Many folks read our forums and never register or post which is why we generally try to keep discussions on point to our teachings and not let someone get bad information.

Glad you are taking control of your pool!!

I vote this the one of the best first posts every AND you are a FL person as well! In for the win!

I am SO glad you found TFP and got a good test kit. It does not get much better than this!

If you have really been reading then you know you left one thing out.............pictures!!!

Kim

tim5055, Richard320, Texas Splash, kimkats, & pooldv:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the guidance on the signature (I've tried twice for the sig; maybe this time)?

Fair enough on the delineation between lurker and troll, though after two years of lurking; I somehow still feel like a troll ;-)

Pictures to come soon enough; maybe next weekend; the screen enclosure still looks like butt; all green and black from years of neglect. I'll be working on that in the coming days; as soon as it sparkles the white it should and the screens to not look green; I'll post pics.

Now J if you have been doing ANY reading on here you KNOW we love to see the before so we can see just how much hard work it took to get to the after pictures. I have LOTS of pictures of my house in the before state. I make SURE everyone knows they are before pictures as they are NOT something to "show off" LOL BUT it does show the hard work we did.

So make sure to take the before pictures to show with the after pictures for us all to cheer about!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support