Inground pool leak??

morojo

Apr 5, 2008
I have an inground steel wall, vinyl lined pool 16' x 32' straight back kidney shape. I live in London, Ontario. Closed the pool in the fall, lowered water to just below return lines, blown and plugged. Now Draining water off of lock in winter cover and noticing water level to be about 6-8" below return lines. What happened to the water?? Last fall the pb came and sucked water out from behind my liner that was around edges of the deepend but says they couldn't find any leaks and it might have been ground water that got behind the liner. However at this time noticing that the water level has dropped over the winter I'm thinking that there is a leak somewhere. The pool cover did get quite full over the winter and water level under the cover rose significantly due to the surface water on the cover. Trying to determine the cause of the water level differential?? Would like to address the issue before filling the pool back up when opening. Any ideas or help with this matter would be great. How to find leaks, fix them or determine if there is one or not???

Thanks

A similar situation happened to me, twice. This year and also about 3 years ago. First time we thought we had a leak, but no. Our water level had dropped a foot... The weight of the water on top of the cover pushed the water in the pool up the sides and over the top rail and out between the wall and the liner. Because I'm an AG pool it drained away...I did have a bit of sand wash out in once spot but the liner/walls did not suffer any ill effects. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that happened to you. Really the only way to tell is to fill her back up and watch the water level.

Thanks for your help. The pool cover is only 2 years old, i guess there could be a hole in it. Wondering thought about other possibilities about the water loss. I'm sure it could be a number of things however should I just fill er up and check my water level through the season as pool mom says or should I be checking fro possible leaks first and how??

I might try and do a visible inspection around the current water line, just to be sure. In theory, if you had a major leak, given how long our winters are in Ontario, its probably down to that point by now, and would have stopped leaking at its current level. But there are other possible reasons as others have mentioned for the loss too.

Well Hello Toronto!

I believe I closed the pool properly. Main drain line is full of air and valve closed. Are you suggesting that the drain has it's own leak in the plumbing line or just seeping through the floor??? Still not sure where the water went??

Main drain full of air ??? How did you determined that ?
Main drains are very hard to identify the leak in. Also, with water below the freezing line, are unlikely to be the suspect. With all do respect to Mom, I doubt water level dropped because it went above the liner in IG pool in this area.

I would suggest to refill and do another test to see if there is really a leak. If there is and you do not want to "scuba dive" all around the liner, you may want to call leak detection guys. I can give you contact info for someone reliable, if you do not have anyone you know.

Igor.

I would think that if the leak was in his main drain, wouldn't the water continue to leak out? You may be right that his experience was likely different than mine, but I wouldn't assume that the main drain is the "only" suspect.

Is your water level continuing to drop? I would add 3-5 more inches and watch the water level, if you don't want to refill it completely. Did you have rain last fall when the water was behind the liner? Was your water level higher than normal at that time (to where it could have gotten behind the liner)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.