Booster Pump Replacement

Jun 30, 2013
Plano, TX
Good Afternoon!

The original booster pump (Hayward 5060) that powers my cleaner (Polaris 280) has finally expired. It was installed with the pool build in 2004. I see a Hayward 6060 for about $250 and a Polaris PB4-60 for $240, both at Amazon. Does anyone have any experience / opinion on which of those two might be better?

I stopped at Leslie's to check yesterday, and all they carry is the Polaris for $340!

I watched a couple of on-line videos regarding replacement, and they all indicate the use of soft connections that look similar to water supply lines used on toilets. My current connections are with 3/4" (I think) PVC pipe - how difficult would it be to convert the PVC to soft connections, keeping in mind that I'm not very handy? Last year, I cut out an old waterfall pump and installed a new pump, including plumbing new PVC pipe.

I'm a bit leery of trying the booster pump installation - Leslie's is running a special for $99 installation for any equipment. But they exempt the booster pump and the install cost for that is about $175 with all associated costs included. The store manager doesn't know why, but he assumes it is a more complex installation.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.