What to do first??

Apr 23, 2013
Hi,
Trying to get ready to open the pool. I need to add some stain eliminator but I have some low levels already. Not sure if I should raise these levels before adding the stain eliminator.
ph=7.5
CL=1
FC=1.5
CC=0
TA=40
CYA=0

There's no doubt some of your levels are extremely low and require adjusting. But before we get to that, can you tell us the same brand of the product you are wanting to use to remove stains first, and what kind of stains do you believe them to be? That could influence our advice.

Also, LA .... filling from a well perhaps? Do you know if you have metals in your water?

I'm using the Haviland Stain Eliminator. I have a water well and get stains every year and yes metals in the water. My usual approach is to add the stain eliminator and then add the stabilizer a few days later, but with these levels so low, I wasn't sure if I needed to get those levels up beforehand.

Sounds like you're used to the routine then. Here's the issue though - no FC or CYA and you leave yourself open to algae. If you get algae and have to SLAM, you have to raise FC and defeat the purpose of the stain or sequestrant treatment and have to start all over. :brickwall: How does your water look? Is it crystal clear? Water temp still low? Any visible algae? If there is any doubt about algae, you may want to do an overnight loss test. You want algae-free water before treating for stains and metal. I'm not aware of stabilizer (CYA) being a road block in stain treatment, but if you wait, then definitely increase CYA as soon as you can. If you suspect algae, go no higher than 30 for a SLAM. Otherwise, your SWG pool will require a minimum CYA of 70.

If everything looks good, then I would suggest following the direction on the package. Typically they recommend a specific pH range adjustment and perhaps a very low FC level prior to use to prevent the metal from precipitating any further. Once the stain eliminator as done its job, increase FC while watching and trying to prevent the reappearance of stains. You may have continued success with a slightly lower pH level as well. Post stain reatment, ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

I hope this helps. If you still have any questions or reservations, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.