Union fitting sheared off when tightening onto p

Mar 21, 2011
I was putting a new unnion fitting on the pump and while I was tightening it down it cracked right off. I am a bit surprised. I thought it would have been stronger. I was using Oatly white pipe joint compound on the threads. Is there a way to remove this?

image.jpg

Get a hacksaw blade and cut notches in the plastic. Not deep enough to hit the threads. Then stick something in the hole that fits in the notches. Then use that to unscrew the broken off piece.

You can dig it out, but doing it without buggering the threads on the housing will take patience and steady hands.

First thing to try is wedging a trowel or a chisel or something else into the remaining piece and see if you can unscrew it. Heating it up so it melts its way in - without melting the housing threads - might help.

Second is to create a notch (or use the notch left by the first attempt) and use a punch in that notch and hammer taps tangentially to unscrew it. Like this: Ó

Third starts to get dicey. Use an exacto knife saw or a dremel tool to weaken the broken pipe by cutting a groove in the pipe without actually going through to the threads. Then a sharp narrow chisel directed inward adjacent to the grove and some hammer taps to crack the broken piece and cause it to move inward and away from the female threads. That might loosen it enough to unscrew the stump.

Now if only i could find a new union fitting. I bought the three I am installing at Pinch a penny, but when I called them, they said they had no more. So now I am driving all around town trying to get one more.

Just for a follow up on the hacksaw approach, those new vibrating blade multi use tools that came out a few years ago makes this sort of job oh so much easier, they are like a hot knife through butter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.