Hey everyone!

Mar 19, 2016
Thomasville
My name is Jessica I am from NC I have had my pool for three years and never had problems until now. So when I was go ogling 8 found this forum and needed some help so I joined. I have already learned a lot by just reading threads. I have always used store bought chemicals I thought that's what I was supposed to use. I am glad that I found this forum because I'd rather not have to worry if my store is always going to have the chemicals I need or not. I know my Walmart stops selling chemicals after August. If you have any advice for me please let me know because even though I have had my pool for 3 years I honestly know nothing. I had no clue what cya was slamming or that there was a difference between chlorine readings fc and tc lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Welcome Jessica! Glad you found us. Have you been relying on the pool store to test your water and tell you what to buy for it (cha-ching$!).

We advocate pool owners test their own water because no one cares about testing it accurately as much as you do. And we also encourage folks to use the basic chemicals one can find in the grocery store or hardware store. FAR cheaper! For example, pool stores will sell you "Alkalinity Increaser" which is 100% Baking Soda! But its a ton cheaper at Walmart or Costco. We like "liquid chlorine" which can be as simple as buying bleach at the market.

So you need a GOOD test kit and if you get a full set of results : FC, CC, pH, CA, CH, CYA and tell us how your water looks we can help you if you have problems.

Dabble your toes in Pool School (link at top of page) and holler if you have any questions :)

Yippee :flower:

Yep. What they said. And of course, as we said in your OTHER THREAD... the right test kit is everything. Lots of folks here to help you. You might also want to try to stay with one post so that all the helpers can follow your history better. :)

When you get a chance, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No I have never even stepped foot into a pool store heard way to many bad stories about that. I have just always tested with one of those test strip that you dip into the water. My chlorine level is 5.0 but that's total it's not telling me fc it tells me other things but nothing what you guys talk about on here. I buy everything at Walmart typically their clorox brand shock and algaecide and then some of the aquachem products. I have put in other things like bleach borax and baking soda because I didn't always have $40 to pay for a whole thing of chlorine. But I just never knew if this was even right just stuff I Google and I had people tell me huh bleach what that's going to turn your liner white.... don't use that but is bleach not just a lower type of chlorine and without extra additives? But I found yall after googling a ton to find out what's wrong with my pool because I didn't cover it last year and it turned black eww now it's blue but very very cloudy I cannot see the bottom I got out pretty much everything like leaves and branches but I can't see to vacuum and we have these balls that are prickly that fall off the trees and if any are in there and I vacuum they will clog it. So I don't want to vacuum until I see the bottom. But this time I used some normal chemicals 2 gallons of bleach borax and baking soda but I used a ton of clorox shock and 2 bottles of algaecide and then some clarifier because it just won't clear up. I know now that I am going to have to get a test kit first and was told to stop all chemicals and just dump 1 gallon of bleach in it a day and then we I get the test kit to post my results and let you guys know so you can help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Priorities: #1- Get a test kit. Either the Taylor's 2006 (no other number) or the TF-100. Both available from TFTestkits.net and the shipping is super fast.
#2- Stop buying and using any product that is specific for pools, at least until you understand what you're adding and *why*....and if you actually need it.
#3- Until you get a test kit and can give us some baseline tests, add 1/2 gallon of liquid bleach (just the 8.25% stuff from a store that sells a lot so its fresh
#4- While waiting on the test kit to arrive do all you can to get all those gumballs and other leaves and debris out. Use a net but don't vacuum gumballs!
#5- Tell us everything you can about your pool: size, what equipment, how you sanitize it, etc.
#6- Start Reading Pool School articles to learn about pool and water care.

Don't worry about using liquid bleach. You won't hurt your liner at the levels we advise, and you're correct- it is just a different form of the same chlorine the pool store sells you.