Burning Red Eyes Please Hekp

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
My pool is new, been open for one month. Been following TFP procedures all along. My numbers are

TA 90
FC 4.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.7
CH 175
CYA 40

Only been swimming twice, last time i opened my eyes underwater and later my kid said my eyes were "super red." And they stung, for 1-2 days. Now, today, my wife tells me the pool water stings her eyes (from last week). Any idea what is the prob? Or is this expected? Don't know what to think.

I will note that I have never been able to get CC to zero. Always a slight pink tint with the TF-100. Is that normal?

Some people do have an issue with CC never going to zero but it is rarely a cause for alarm if it goes away after one drop. Stinging for a couple of days is not normal for any pool however, something is wrong. The first idea I have is to lower your pH down between 7.2 and 7.5. Different people have different preferences for pH and it is typically the largest issue for stinging eyes.

If that doesn't seem to help the next thing I would suggest is to consider adding some salt to the pool. 1000 ppm of salt can help enhance the comfort of water and its effect on eyes.

Finally, on probably an unrelated note, is your CH supposed to be that low with a PebbleSheen? I am not familiar with the finish but it seems low for a non-vinyl pool.

What are you doing your testing with? Pool Store TF 100?

You numbers look ok so I suspect your ph is lower than is shown. Who and what are you testing with?

If you are doing your own tests and all that's in this pool is chlorine water and some acid then I would follow the SLAM procedure until you pass the OCDT. Its all in pool school.

Some people do have an issue with CC never going to zero but it is rarely a cause for alarm if it goes away after one drop. Stinging for a couple of days is not normal for any pool however, something is wrong. The first idea I have is to lower your pH down between 7.2 and 7.5. Different people have different preferences for pH and it is typically the largest issue for stinging eyes.

If that doesn't seem to help the next thing I would suggest is to consider adding some salt to the pool. 1000 ppm of salt can help enhance the comfort of water and its effect on eyes.

Finally, on probably an unrelated note, is your CH supposed to be that low with a PebbleSheen? I am not familiar with the finish but it seems low for a non-vinyl pool.

Ok, I will try lowering pH a bit. And yes, (plaster) PebbleSheen pools should have higher CH, according to this site. I already added some CH today, but it is too cold to swim to test the results. I also have Boric acid on the way. Do you think the Borates will take the place of salt? Or should I maybe add both? Either way, I will do one thing at a time, and wait and see.

Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you doing your testing with? Pool Store TF 100?

You numbers look ok so I suspect your ph is lower than is shown. Who and what are you testing with?

If you are doing your own tests and all that's in this pool is chlorine water and some acid then I would follow the SLAM procedure until you pass the OCDT. Its all in pool school.

I am using the test kit recommended on this forum. But I think you may be right. Perhaps I need to SLAM the new pool to get a baseline. Who knows what was in my tap water/initial fill.

Mark,

A little advice (and others will concur) - wait before you add the borates to your water.

TFP typically recommends that folks with new pools wait a season before adding borates. Your pool water is only a month old and it will continue to evolve and change as the plaster cures. You have no idea how it will behave or a baseline from which to know if borates will be helpful or not. It's good for people with new pools to take time to learn how their pools behave. It's ok to have the boric acid on hand but I would caution against adding any until you've sorted out your pools issues and have developed a comfortable routine for managing your water.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Good luck,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.