Is backwashed water ok for grass?

Most owners will say pool water has been just fine on their grass. There are at times a few exceptions, extremely arid locations, or perhaps because of the specific type of grass in that spot, but usually it has no negative effects - other than making it grow faster. :) If you are really concerned about your lawn (as an investment of sorts), i.e. new sod or high-end turf, I suppose you could drain some water in an isolated area a few times just to check.

I let the dog poop and **** on it and the kids run around on it and it has a playset on top of it.... Definitely not ultra concerned with it. I just want it to feel good and look good.... And maybe do my part to try and conserve a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been looking into this a little as i am thinking about switching to salt but my discharge path runs along a landscaped area -- plus one of my outdoor spigots is now softened water, and some consider the sodium levels an issue too. I am also uphill from a large river and watershed habitat that I need to consider, though my municipality does not outlaw salt as some do.

My understanding is that it's the salt build up in the soil than can, over time, reach levels toxic to vegetables, plants, and grasses. The best way to avoid impact is to discharge when the ground is already saturated eg, right after a rain. That way the plant isn't "thirsty" and directly taking up the salt. Many people report no impact on grass, but I suspect that can vary depending on how well watered the grass is by nature or human ;)

My hunch is that these factors will make a difference on whether your lawn reacts to discharge or not. I'd doubt it would be instant, and it may not be at all, depending on the frequency, sources of freshwater, etc.

The usual answer is it depends. It depends on the type of grass and rainfall. How much rain has a big impact for me because sometimes we get a lot and sometimes we get none. For me, bermuda grass is not affected at all and tall fescue is. But, I think the tall fescue is more affected by too much water than the salt in the water. My pool overflow drain path was impacted last spring/summer and definitely has less grass. We got a lot of rain last spring. I don't recall seeing or noticing much of an impact in prior years while in drought.

The usual answer is it depends. It depends on the type of grass and rainfall. How much rain has a big impact for me because sometimes we get a lot and sometimes we get none. For me, bermuda grass is not affected at all and tall fescue is. But, I think the tall fescue is more affected by too much water than the salt in the water. My pool overflow drain path was impacted last spring/summer and definitely has less grass. We got a lot of rain last spring. I don't recall seeing or noticing much of an impact in prior years while in drought.

If I were to do it, it'll be watering bermuda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.