Vacuuming to Waste

Apr 28, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
When vacuuming to waste, I normally close the opposite skimmer to increase suction through the skimmer I'm using to vacuum. Should I also close the valve that shuts off the drain that's at the very bottom of the pool? I'd think that would increase suction even more, but I don't want to put too much back pressure on the pump and end up burning it out.

Thanks!

Closing valves is fine as long as there is enough flow to keep the pump strainer basket full. When you start getting air in the basket, you have restricted the flow too much.

You'll have to watch the skimmers to see which valve operates what.

Another issue you might have is too much suction to move the vacuum head easily. I'd usually vacuum on high speed, but you might not be able to do so with all flow dedicated to the vac line. If you're getting enough suction on low speed to vacuum effectively then I'd use low speed with all suction dedicated to the vac-attached skimmer.

Generally, the skimmers have two pipes coming into one valve.. the main drain will have its own valve and pipe.

When vacuuming, I close of the main drain and one of the skimmers which seems to work great.

Ok, guess it's time for me to reiterate my advice on vacuuming a pool with 2 or more suctions 8)

Get the vacuum set up with all suction lines open, then start closing valves to the lines you aren't vacuuming through until the pressure gauge drops 1/2 - 1 psi. This gives you good suction while not making the vachead stick to the floor! If you have gravel or other large debris on the floor, vacuum the rest of the pool and then turn off all other ports that you aren't vacuuming through and lift the vachead and lower it onto the rock (you may need to rapidly work the vachead back and forth to liberate the rock - you need to dislodge it from the bottom to allow the suction to pull it into the suction port on the vacuum - then, if the rock is too large to enter the hose, pull the vachead up to ~ 4" below the pool surface and remove the stuck rock with your hand) [I caught s**t for one time telling a customer, who had told me "I tried vacuuming up the rocks, but the won't get them, so don't even TRY the vacuum, you'll have to go in and pick them off the floor by hand!", "Lady, maybe you can't, but I know how to use a pool vacuum and I can" :lol: - needless to say, the rocks were out of the pool in 3 minutes & I didn't even get wet up to my elbow :mrgreen: ]

Technique and knowing how, and when, to adjust the amount of suction are the keys to properly vacuuming a pool 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.