Where do i set my ph etc...

Sep 13, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought this house, now just trying to get pool in line. Just did drain and refill because of cya through the roof, and did a acid and bleach wash. Now its filled up and running for week, and tabs in a floater, until I add cya. I have my stenner ready to put online. Here is my first test results.
FC .5
CYA 0
CC 0
CH 225
TA 150
Ph 8.2
Tc .5

Being in az, water is hard, so the TA and CH will drift higher I assume. Were to I set my ph to prevent scaling?

Bring pH down to 7.5-7.6 range. Never let it go over 7.8. TA is high with new water but will eventually come down over time - ideally around 60-80 ppm. Not the most important right now though. No SWG? Then shoot for an initial CYA target of 30-50 ppm and adjust FC to match as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart (between 4-6 ppm). Use regular bleach to increase FC quickly to avoid cloudiness and algae bloom. Hope that helps.

With the high TA you show, pH will rise quickly. The way to slow it down is to lower the TA. There's an article in pool school on how to do it, but that's probably not necessary. Just target 7.2 pH each time the pH gets close to 7.8. pH rise will slow, TA will go down, and at some point you'll find the sweet spot where your pool chemistry stays pretty stable for a week or more at a atime.

To prevent scale monitor your CSI score in Poolmath. After you enter your test results it will automatically calculate it for you. Tweak PH and TA if needed to see what the impact will be to your CSI, be sure to enter water temp. Keep your CSI in the recommended range. I like to keep mine slightly negative for best results, -0.1 to -0.2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.