1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-6 leak.

alfa01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
Hello,

In the last six month I have replaced the shaft seal and the impeller seal two times, but the pump continues to leak (see picture below). I have done this properly. I have changed the seal plate as well thinking it might have a crack but still no fix. I'm thinking to replace the impeller as I notice some wear and tear in the impeller seal area. Anybody ever encountered a leak form impeller.? I don't know what to do. But it still leak from the shaft seal as you see from the picture. I toke it with face camera phone while the pump operates. Any suggestions.?

pump leak.jpg

Maybe from the impeller screw. Did you replace the screw oring? Did you replace the housing gasket and the diffuser oring?

I think that the pump is way oversized for your pool. It probably uses about 2,000 watts whereas with a variable speed pump, you could probably operate at about 200 watts. It would be much quieter as well.

If your electrical rates are high, it might be worth considering replacing it with a variable speed pump.

Maybe from the impeller screw. Did you replace the screw oring? Did you replace the housing gasket and the diffuser oring?

I think that the pump is way oversized for your pool. It probably uses about 2,000 watts whereas with a variable speed pump, you could probably operate at about 200 watts. It would be much quieter as well.

If your electrical rates are high, it might be worth considering replacing it with a variable speed pump.

I replace the screw oring along with the other seals back in October. It was still leaking but nut much. Last week it got worse so I replaced the shaft seal and impeller seal but leak didn't stop. I didn't replaced the diffuser ring this time but I noticed it was enlarged so I will replace it Monday as I have to take the impeller to local store for their opinion on replacing it. My pump is almost 6 years old and runs 5 hour a day so it costs me about $1.50 a day. Last year I added a 5' x 7' spa so that is more gallons to run. My next pump for sure will be variable. I will post Monday on the outcome once I solve this "mystery"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.