Check valve choice?

Apr 20, 2015
Central New York
I will be reinstalling my pump and heater soon. This year I would like to put a check valve at the heater to prevent high chloride water from back washing into the heater when the pump goes off. I am using an offline Hayward chlorinater which injects after the heater.

What is the recommended style of check valve? Flap or spring? Or am I just over killing my thought and the valve is not necessary? Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about keeping water from an in line Chlorinator backing into the heater? In whatever case, I'd think a standard spring flap type would work. That's what mine is. If you really wanted to fancy it up, you could add a FloVis that would give you flow indication, and the same thing all at once.

If you are going to install a check valve then one of these Jandy styles is the best because it can be easily service down the road.
Pool Check Valves. Swimming Pool Check Valves.

I don't think it is really necessary. The real question is are you really sure about using that trichlor puck chlorinator? Each puck adds a lot of CYA and it won't take long before there is too much CYA in your pool. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.