Run Time vs Increasing Output

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Intellichlor IC40

I run my pool at high speed for 3 hours to get a good turnover and cleaning. I'm trying to determine how long I should run my pump at low speed and also what output to put the intellichlor on. Is it better to run the low speed longer and have a lower output on the Intellichlor, or better to have a higher output and not run the low speed as long?

It really does not make any difference either way. Cost more in power the longer you run the pump.

Some advantage to spreading out the pump/SWG run time over the day ... like in a few 2-3 hour blocks.

Really, with an in-floor system, that is going to determine how long you need to run the pump to keep the pool clean. Then just set the SWG as required.

To the salt water generator and cell life it makes no difference. 1 hr at 100% is the same as 4 hrs at 25%, or 10 hrs at 10%. Also the output will be the same, regardless of the pump speed. There might be some marginal advantage to spreading the chlorine addition over a longer time, if you are going to be running the pump anyway. With a VS pump, you can experiment to find the most economical speed to accomplish each task. I find the 2800 works well with my infloor system and that 1.5 hrs runs a full cleaning cycle. My SWG needs 1200 rpm to safely trigger the flow switch. So I run one or two cycles of the infloor in the am (1.5-3 hrs at 2800 rpm) depending on the amount of debris and season. Then my pump switches to 1200 rpm with the SWG on for several more hours to slowly add chlorine and provide filtration throughout the day. The 1.5-3 hour run in the am could add all the chlorine for the day, if I just set the SWG higher, but it's cheap to run my VS pump at a low speed, and if I'm going to run it anyway, might as well spread out the chlorine addition through the day.

Thanks guys. Another question in regards to output. When my Easy Touch system was setup by whoever, I have the two settings: Pool (low speed) and Clean (high speed). However, my Easy Touch remote only allows my Intellichlor to go up to 20% in the Clean mode. Could my system have been set up wrong? I don't have an attached spa or anything, so I don't know why my system is setup to where it can only produce a max of 20% while on Clean. Was my stem just setup wrong? If so, anyway to fix?

That is not correct. The EasyTouch allows for SWG percentage adjustments in 1% increments . The cell is not capable of indicating this if that is what you are judging this off of. What is the remote/ET showing?

I'm going off of the remote. Here, I loaded a video to youtube. You'll see that when I change my "pool" setting (low speed), it changes my "CLEAN" mode (high speed) to 0.... and then when i try to adjust my CLEAN setting, it maxes out at 20.

Pentair easy touch remote - YouTube

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.