Pls help me set up my pool !

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Hey guys,

I have my first set of real numbers for my pool, and I want to be sure I am doing this right!

CYA between 20-30 << add 28 ounces stabilizer

FC 7

CC 0.5

PH 8.2 << add 13 ounces muriatic acid

CH 150 << add 261 ounces calcium chloride

TA 40 << add 225 ounces baking soda

The one parameter that is off for plaster pool with chlorine in the calculator is the TA goal -- should be 80 instead of 100. I retested CH and got 125 this time, and I added 8 pounds of calcium chloride, which should be half of what the pool needs. But I'm not 100% sure on my pool volume, so I'm going to retest it in another hour and see what happens.

So I retested CH and it went up 50, just as predicted by the calculator, which was pretty awesome to this newby!! This made me confident enough to add muriatic acid and baking soda at the recommended levels. I though my PB left stabilizer, but he didn't, so I'll pick some up tomorrow, and trim the levels as needed. I am so glad that this site, and the AWESOME calculator and information, is here!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Helen! Look at you! You are getting it!

Make sure to read and reread the links above. It will take a few reads and working with your pool before they become second nature.

Make sure to keep a good log of your pool's levels. It will also be helpful in the beginning to note the weather conditions to help you learn your pool's needs.

HUGS! You are doing great!

Kim (TM nope that just means you fit right in around here! LOL)

Is it crazy that the idea excites me?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - haha

- - - Updated - - -

Helen! Look at you! You are getting it!

Make sure to read and reread the links above. It will take a few reads and working with your pool before they become second nature.

Make sure to keep a good log of your pool's levels. It will also be helpful in the beginning to note the weather conditions to help you learn your pool's needs.

HUGS! You are doing great!

Kim (TM nope that just means you fit right in around here! LOL)

Thanks for hugs, I am keeping track of everything, and testing. The good thing is that we have a month or two to figure this stuff out before we even consider swimming. TG no little kids clamoring for a swim yet!!!!!

It's pretty much that easy Helen. It will be even easier once you get your SWG fired up and tuned.
Between now and when you fire up your SWG, you should search TFP on setting up pump run time using SWG so you'll know what you need to do. Now the fun REALLY starts!

For quite some time to come, you can expect your pH to rise due to the plaster curing. It takes months to fully cure, so keep an eye on your pH daily. Dont let it get above 8, or below about 7.6.

Hey, just reporting back that I did the full panel of tests this morning and all I had to add was muriatic acid and bleach. TFP method really works!!!!

Hey guys, quick questions about CH: I retested today, and CH has dropped down to 175 and I need to add another 12# calcium chloride. Is this normal in a new pool??

Here's what I tested today:

PH 8.2 <<added 20 oz. muriatic acid
FC 1.5, CC 0.5 << added 92 oz. 10% bleach
CH 175 << haven't added MORE (201 oz.) calcium chloride yet
TA 70
CYA 25 << haven't added stabilizer yet (need to pick some up today)

CSI 0.01

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.