Will buy Intex 9'x18' x 52" : advice needed

Zekevz

Mar 17, 2016
Longueuil
Hi guys,

I will buy an Intex pool 9'x18' x52". I will also build a full deck all around it.

I live in Canada and my intention is to winterize it during winter. My deck should help to hold the winter cover.

I want to try to make it trouble free the first time.

1. I will add a skimmer, would you suggest to install it in the middle or more near the corner of the long side or the short side?
2. Would you recommend the installation of a bottom drain ?
3. For the floor, would you recommend a sand bed or a high density insulation foam or both ?
4. I want to heat my pool with maybe a heat pump (if you agree but I'm open to any suggestion. The heat pump is expensive to buy but cheaper to operate). Does the Krystal clear 1200 GPH filter/pump is powerfull enough ?
5. Which salt water system should I buy the 28667EG or the 28669EG
6. I will hard plumb all the equipment. Can I find the fitting in a normal pool or homedepot store or should I buy them
7. Should I replace all the ball valve that comes with the kit while I'm hard plumbing everything ?

Last thing (for now) can someone give me the real dimensions for the bottom liner (is this 9x18 at the bottom of the liner) + the foot print including the u-shaped support and the top ring.

Thanks for any input. I'll post picture when I'm done.

For now a little preview of the deck planning.

Zekevz

Intex_deck_plan.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I will address your questions the best I can in red:

1. I will add a skimmer, would you suggest to install it in the middle or more near the corner of the long side or the short side?
The most important factor is the typical wind direction. You want the skimmer on the predominantly downwind side of the pool.

2. Would you recommend the installation of a bottom drain ?
Not really needed. Adds complexity and and more difficult repairs. You can get adequate circulation without it and a cleaner will remove the dirt.

3. For the floor, would you recommend a sand bed or a high density insulation foam or both ?
I have no experience with this. I would think the foam would lower chances of puncture and offer insulation.

4. I want to heat my pool with maybe a heat pump (if you agree but I'm open to any suggestion. The heat pump is expensive to buy but cheaper to operate). Does the Krystal clear 1200 GPH filter/pump is powerfull enough ?
Heat pumps do not work very well once the air temp gets into the 60s and they need to be run a long time since they are slow at heating. Gas is quicker, but costs depend on your area.

5. Which salt water system should I buy the 28667EG or the 28669EG
I do not know what those numbers are. Generally, the bigger the better. Also you want a large filter.

6. I will hard plumb all the equipment. Can I find the fitting in a normal pool or homedepot store or should I buy them
I am not sure if there are special adapters required (depends on the equipment you are going to use). There are threads that describe how to do it though, like the one Richard posted.

7. Should I replace all the ball valve that comes with the kit while I'm hard plumbing everything ?
I would recommend the use of pool valves like the Neverlube-type. Ball valves stiffen up and break.

Last thing (for now) can someone give me the real dimensions for the bottom liner (is this 9x18 at the bottom of the liner) + the foot print including the u-shaped support and the top ring.
No idea. Sorry.

Just a few more random bits, at least in the US intex says not to use heaters or heat pumps with their pool, I suspect this is a liability issue, as they sell their own heat pump in other countries. As to if a heat pump is right for you, it depends on your goals are you just looking to add peak summer swim temperatures, or are you intending to try to extend the swim season. As a rule of thumb heat pumps work best when the air temperature is within about 20-25 degrees of the pool temperature, so they do a good job of heating a pool to 85 degrees in 65 degree weather, or 90 degrees in 70 degree weather, what they are not so good at is heating a pool to 85 degrees in 45 degree weather.

As to converting intex fittings to common hardware store fittings, there are a number of build your own adapter threads that can help out. On the topic of ball vavles these come in a variety of quality levels, the cheap ones will swell and stick within a couple of year, but even the better ones may last only 5 or 10 years. So the question here is how long do you plan to keep the pool, is this a forever pool or a until the kids are grown pool.

Ike

Thanks for the answers. The newbie link answered many of my questions.

The heater info are great, I figured out a heat pump is enough heat for me but I'll compare operating cost with an electric heater. I understand now why I was only redirected on UK site when searching for intex heater.

Thank for the quick answers. I'm more confident now with that type of pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.