opening my pool--guidance on water balancing

daniym

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
West Point, VA
Was a new convert at the end of last season, and just hoping to get guidance to start out right this year. Uncovered the pool, and filled the water on Sunday. Turned the filter on, did our first water test yesterday afternoon.
FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
pH=7.8
TA=160
CYA=15? (husband did testing and said it may be a bit higher but gave me this number???)

My husband insisted we needed to shock, so he added 288 oz. bleach last night, to raise FC to 10, and ran pump all night.

Tested at 10:40 AM:
FC=6
CC=.5

I know we need to lower total alkalinity. I don't have muriatic acid, but I do have some dry acid. It says add no more than 2 lbs. at a time. So do I gradually decrease pH to try to lower my TA?

Alkalinity is fine for now. Work on pH and chlorine until those are where they need to be and are stable. When you bring your pH down, your alkalinity will come down.

Your CYA could very well be very low. Mine is usually unmeasurable in the spring due to rainwater dilution over the winter. Stay after the chlorine, push th epH down to 7.4 and run the pump 24/7 until the pool is clean and clear. You'll be ready to swim as soon as it's warm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.