Light Conversion Fiber Optic to LED

ckk81

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2015
Kalamazoo MI
Have an old non-functional fiber optic system currently. 2-3 (no I can't remember) in-pool lights with a fiber rim-light (which is definitely not being replaced). Anything special about a conversion to LED? I assume I can run the LED power to and from the lights through the same conduit the fiber came through, yes/no? My thought is to use the old fiber optic tower as a bit of a wiring box for the LED as the 120v from the house is located there.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: itsme_bernie
We are not at your pool so we can't tell you for sure if what I describe bellow will work but it has worked for others.

Replace the Fiber Optics with Nicheless lights. Pentair GloGrights are an example. There are others.

Your replacement has to comply with the National Electrical Code (NEC). In general the NEC requires that the light cord terminates in a "listed junction box" that meets certain specifications. So you can't use the fiber optic tower. Pool supply stores carry listed junction boxes.

Before doing the work read this: http://www.mikeholt.com/download.php?file=PDF/Swimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf

The section you are interested in, 680.23, starts on page 13.

If you understand what he is talking about and feel you could do the work described then go for it. Otherwise hire a professional.

Be careful what nicheless lights you purchase for a retrofit. Globrite, for example, are not used for conversion. They require a Globrite specific niche. I see most people using the Zodiac Savi lights, Zodiac watecolors, or SR Smith Pal Treo lights. These are all made to fit in a 1.5" SP1022 fitting, which is what fiber optic lights are typically fitted into. You have to consider the amount of straight 1.5" pipe behind that fitting, as well. Many of the smallest lights require at least 4" and others require more. The Savi Buddy light is one of the shallowest and works well in most fiber optic conversion applications.

Ditto on the installation advice above.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't mean to suggest I would use the old light tower as the actual wiring box for the 120V just a hub of sorts for everything going on. Should I hold off on purchasing lights until I see how much straight pipe I have to work with? Do I need to measure the actual run of conduit (from "niche" to the light tower) either?

Yes and yes.

Pull the lenses and see what is behind them before you spend money on lights.

Most lights are sold in different cord lengths. Less copper = less $$. Get what you need unless you find a good deal or you want to make an extension cord with your leftovers.

Most LED lights are 12V, so you'll probably be putting a transformer where your old light source is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.