Pool deck drainage? what do the channels do and how? Pics included

Apr 22, 2013
I have these plastic-covered channels all around my pool. Most do not lead anywhere, they just run into more concrete. They are covered channels that are double deckered. So a shallow square channel over a deeper v channel (see pic 2).

I am in AZ, we dont have much rain. We do have scorpions that like to live in these channels. I would like to rip them out and fill with polyurethane self-leveling caulk. Are there any dangers associated with this.

I dont understand what these channels do. When in good shape (they are old and cracked now, aren't we all!) they are covered (see pic 3), so how is splash or rain water getting in to them. Plus they do not lead to a drain or ground. they just run into concrete (pic 4)

Hmmm, I do not seem to have the space to upload images. I have uploaded them here Postimage.org / gallery - 1 deck channel, 2 double decker, 3 covered channel, 4 end in concrete

Attachments

• 1 deck channel.jpg
    1 deck channel.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 2 double decker.jpg
    2 double decker.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 3 covered channel.jpg
    3 covered channel.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 243
That makes sense. I wonder why it was not just left open like the rest of the patio. What are you thinking of using to fill them in, I have used self-levelling poly urethane caulk. That has worked well but there is one location where I see it is starting to separate.

Thanks for posting about this...I have a few of these and they are in ok condition but I need to remove one (likely to break in the process)
to install a bond wire to my metal pool ladder.

Wasn't sure where I would find a replacement.

Cheers!

Those are expansion joints that allow the concrete to move a little without cracking.

Caulk isn't effective when it fills a large joint like that. You can fill the joint with foam or sand or asphalt impregnated strips (available from a mason yard). Then put a 1/4-1/2" thick layer of caulk on top. That way the caulk is strong enough to stretch when the slabs move, but no so thick that it won't stretch or compress.

Thats what I have done in areas of my house further away from the pool. Sand or backer rod followed by Sikaflex Model # 221060 Internet # 206200505 Store SKU # 271360 29 oz. Flex Self-Leveling Sealant Gray

Its held up for about 3 years now. Except in one location where I think water has pooled on occasion where there is about 1mm separation in a couple of areas.

How about some slightly tapered (thick at the surface skinnier at the bottom) teak, redwood, or cedar. A little sanding and a bit of caulk should be able to deal with any inconsistency in the joint. you can then waterproof it with tinted stain to match the deck. I would think it would last at least a few years perhaps longer if you reapply the waterproofing every year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
definitely expansion joints used extensively in az & to some extent calif, yes you can remove them & use foam backer rod underneath & fill the rest of the joint with a self leveling flexible material. deco seal is one such product, U can buy at your local pool store or masonery supply

NOTE: This is an old thread. The OP has not been online in almost a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.