What are "heat sinks"? Why are they so expensive?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Last year, we sprung a big leak in the pipes between the pump and heater, and opted to bypass the heater. (It was around 90 every day.) The PB did the bypass, said we needed two new heat sinks at $95/each, recommended that we get a new heater instead of fixing the old one, and took all the connecting pipe. Honestly, I'm not sure what heat sinks are, but I know we can't afford a new heater. Since we opened early this year, I'd like to get the old heater fixed, but I'm reluctant to spend the money on it when I don't really understand it what's wrong. Can anyone educate me about heat sinks, old natural gas heaters, etc.? The heater is a Teledyne Laars XE, and we think it was original equipment -- maybe 10-15 years old. (We bought the house last year.)

You are correct, and using heat sinks is pretty much "old school". Since most new heaters have capron headers, or recommend CPVC close to the heater, they are no longer used.

Finding a set of heat sinks is not that easy anymore! They are, indeed, copper or SS. A new heater will not require them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.