Adding SWG to existing setup

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
I am trying to help a friend convert his pool over to a SWG setup. He seems to like what I have (Hayward Goldline), but we are curious how it will work out with his Hayward Superpump. He is currently using all Hayward equipment, and turning the pump off / on with a mechanical timer. His preference would be to control it all similar to they way mine is setup (controlled through the SWG panel).

Would the Hayward SWG be able to control the superpump (turn off and on)?

Probably a silly question.... but one that needed to be asked.

Or... is there another SWG setup that would be better suited for the superpump?

Thanks

You have a few options depending on what your friend wants and can afford in an SWG. If they were to simply hook the SWG up to the same timer as the pump is connected to, provided their timer is capable of connecting 2 devices and is of the proper voltage for both, that would work and be the simplest solution. They could also go with something like the AquaPlus by Hayward that will control the SWG as well as pump, even on separate time schedules if they should want to run your pump longer than your SWG. This would eliminate the currently installed timer and be a more expensive but more flexible option. Most SWG automation controls are capable of this, regardless of the pump make/model with some caveats on 2-speed or VS pumps.

Thanks for the input guys. At first, I thought he was wanting a system just like mine (minus the Inteliflo vs pump), but after further discussion he is more interested in just the SWQ portion. Having said that, it seems like the AquaRite with the T-Cell-15 is the method we will take.

He does not have 2" plumbing, so we will need to adapt his current plumbing to make it work. In looking at the installation manual we may also have to get creative to get the 12" of straight pipe before a flow switch.

He will be converting from EZPool chemicals (that he hates). Are there any considerations that must be made in the change over to Salt? I realize that he is currently using Chlorine to sanitize, but not sure exactly what is in the EZPool bucket and how it could affect the cell.

Should be a good DIY weekend!

Thanks

The only negative consequence from the EZ Pool products may be high CYA or high metals issues. Their products still do not list active ingredients on the SDS other than copper sulfate which is an algaecide but can lead to copper stains on pool surfaces, so not recommended or needed. The other ingredients are not known for certain. You'll only know where you stand if you get the water tested with a proper home test kit. You can also get a decent estimate of the metals levels from a pool store (the only thing I'd ever recommend getting tested there) as it will give you a general idea of metals content without having to spend extra on a test that you may only use once or twice.

Here is my new set up.This is a Aqua Trol HP .This a hard plumb setup with 1.5 in pvc.I have my pump plugged into SWG Box.I've got it set back to running 12 hours during the day right now.Getting ready to cut it back some more.Running pump on low and staying clean
90990e1892ea46a9d9f571406e90fae6.jpg
11f69a42c509876534e53556107184bf.jpg
4bb99e449e8c5b72b08d8846f58a158b.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital DIG-220 does have a digital pump timer. Also the flow switch requirement that you're in to isn't an issue on the Pool Pilot due to the manifold design that the system uses.

He went with the AquaRite T Cell15.

We got the plumbing done yesterday and are planning to finish up the wiring this afternoon. I didn't snap pictures and didn't spend allot of time looking at the electric setup... so going from memory. There is a Hayward 1HP superpump connected to a t104r timer. From what I can gather, the pump can be set to run on 120 or 240v power and the t104 is meant for 240v input. Would this mean that the pump is running on 240v, or is it possible that they t104r is outputting 120v to the pump.

I intend to test it, but just asking some questions before I get over there this evening.

Finished the install last night without any issues. Added 680 pounds of salt, and have the pump running. Will check on it shortly and see if the system is detecting salt and then turn the SWG on.

Not sure what is in the EZ Pool, but he had been using allot of pucks! Even after the winter drain down (and filling it up yesterday) the CYA was right at 50.

I had him put a puck in to start adding some chlorine, but only because I didn't think there was any way the CYA would be that high (didn't test until afterwards). We will remove the puck today when we start generating chlorine, so it shouldn't have added much CYA.

FC - 0
CC - 0
TA - 50
CYA - 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raise the FC to target level with bleach first because SWG's are not meant to raise the FC on their own. You might also want to do an OCLT to make sure the pool doesn't have a low level amount of nascent algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.