Intex saltwater system

Aug 1, 2015
Deer Park, TX
Just installed an intex saltwater system this season to my intex 24" by 52" Have an intex sand pump and added water been running saltwater system for 2 days on an 8 hour cycle but when test water for chlorine its at a 0.0 fc. Do i need to boost the saltwater system, add chorine tablets or liquid chlorine any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Have you fully tested your water yet? Which test kit? Have you added CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun?

Typically you want to use bleach to get to your targeted FC level and then dial in the SWG to maintain it.

Have you had a chance to find Pool School to learn about the methods we teach?

I used test strips all are in good level except for fc. Yes i did add CYA. I figured that the SWG would produce chlorine. So then i have to add bleach and is liquid chlorine ok and havent been to pool school.You tink maybe didnt add enough CYA its a 12,000 gallon pool.

If you have algae it would eat up the chlorine as it's added/produced. Or, your FC may actually be high and bleaching out the strips. The strips are highly unreliable. A good test kit, drop based, is recommended.

Added 3.1 pounds of CYA

That will only add around 30ppm of CYA. With a SWG system, we recommend a CYA of 70-80ppm. Have you read these?
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

Throw the test strips away. Which Taylor kit do you have? These are the only Recommended Test Kits that include the FAS-DPD test.

I might suggest you raise the FC up to about 10ppm with liquid chlorine and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (with the FAS-DPD) to see if there is anything in the water consuming your chlorine. That will determine the path forward.

Great that you have a good test kit. Post back after the OCLT.
If you pass, then I would raise the CYA up some more and hopefully the SWG will keep up.
If you fail, then you likely should follow the SLAM process before you raise the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you pass the OCLT and how's your SWG? Are you ok with it now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.