New to Taylor Test Kit

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi all

Newbie pool owner, and even newbier taylor kit owner...technically I don't even have one yet. But I will shortly, for the start of the pool season (ling story, but short one is I am Canadian, and only just managed to find one while traveling in FLA for spring break)....

So...having looked at the kit I can honestly say I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with feelings of not sure what to do first, or where to start...

What should I be looking for, and what do I need to do first? I assume I need to get a good handle on my CYA readings before doing anything with regards to Chlorine, pH, etc.

The pool was run all last year with no apparent issues - while I say that, it is only based on test strip readings and trusting the PB...we closed the pool properly, and in a few weeks will be opening again...as you can tell from the vagueness of my question, I don't even know the right question to ask!!!

Thanks for any and all tips, tricks and pointers from those who know waaaayyyy more about this stuff than I ever will!

Cheers from chilly Canada

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Do you know which kit you got? Something like K-2005 or K-2006? Either way, Taylor is excellent with color coded bottles caps and instructions and the instructions will likely be affixed to the underside of the lid.

You can also check out THIS LINK to the Taylor Technology videos! Once there, click on the pool/spa link......

If it was from Leslies, it may not contain the FAS-DPD (R-0870 powder & R-0871 drops) for higher and accurate FC testing If not, you'll still need to order that separately. If you can't order it from TFTestkits.com, perhaps some of your fellow neighbors up north may have a good source. :)

Of course, your first stop is in Pool School...."The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" . Make sure you understand what you are testing for and why you are testing.

Then, post up the kit you have it may have some limitations.

And don't let it intimate you. I have the K2006...as I've said often when I got my kit I opened it up and cried I was so intimidated..that lasted a day or so. Watched a couple of videos and reached out here now my family calls me their mad scientist. You won't be sorry!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What they all said, it sounds like the kit you bought is the Leslie's version of the K-2005 which only has the DPD color matching chlorine test, not the suggested K-2006 with the drop counting FAS-DPD chlorine test. Other than that one test the K-2005 and K-2006 are identical, so if you already have it you can potentially buy just the FAS-DPD test, and not a complete test kit, if you do have to order it, I would suggest ordering some extra CYA reagent at the same time as not much is included in either the K-2005A or K-2006A kits (A is the size range). Of course Leslies almost always tells people the K-2005 and K-2006 test kits are the same, this is a blatant lie.

Ike

p.s. we have also had numerous members walk into Leslies ask specifically for the K-2006 and be sold a K-2005

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.